Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 3D-printed steak - GIF

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Soylent Green took place in 2022...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    This stuff might be more successful if they stopped trying to brand it as a new kind of meat.
    Why is it that "vegetarians" want food that does taste or texture like meat?

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by neilbourjaily View Post
    Why is it that "vegetarians" want food that does taste or texture like meat?
    That stuff definitely doesn't look like meat. Looks like it has the consistency of wet bread. It looks more like some sort of cake. The Beyond Burgers aren't really meat like either. Extremely soft, way different texture. As a meat simulant I give them a C. However... they can stand on their own right as a tasty food. I legitimately like the taste of them better than the beef patties. I eat a chicken burger three or four times a week. I have a beef burger maybe every other week. I'd take a beyond burger over either of them. But they are quite expensive.

...but I'm looking it up now and the things have a lot of salt. Maybe the health benefits are overstated.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Soylent Green took place in 2022...
    There is actually a meal replacement product called Soylent. Apparently it got banned in Canada. The Youtube videos of people trying it are absolutely hilarious. Apparently it gives you noxious, near continuous gas.

It's all those Silicon Valley lunatics. From the people who brought you "blood boys," which is apparently actually a thing. Really rich crazy people buy blood transfusions from young healthy people. Steve Jobs thought that his fruitarian diet meant that his body no longer produced mucus, so he no longer had to bathe (spoiler: he was wrong). He also used to soak his feet in the company toilets because it felt good. Lots of stories like that. Those people are crazy.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Okay one more then I'm done. This guy is hilarious.

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Steve had pancreatic cancer. No cure yet known...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Steve had pancreatic cancer. No cure yet known...
    He had an very rare, very treatable pancreatic cancer that was caught early during a kidney stone procedure. He had a high probability of recovery but chose to avoid Western medicine and treat his operable cancer with acupuncture and a diet of fruit. The guy's overwhelming arrogance got him killed.

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    My question is, if the animals that are farmed for food where no longer needed what would happen to them?
    Their natural habitats are various types of farms, some open range, some feed lots etc etc. without being farmed for the end product there is very little point in there existence, are they the zoological specimens of the future or very expensive to own pets? “Remember a calf is for life, not just for Christmas!”
    Will the museums be displaying animal husbandry equipment and supplies of a bygone era where common sense was still used? Modern technology is supposed to be good for the human race but I often wonder if it’s actually aiding devolution.
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skun Knuckles View Post
    My question is, if the animals that are farmed for food where no longer needed what would happen to them? ...Will the museums be displaying animal husbandry equipment and supplies of a bygone era where common sense was still used? Modern technology is supposed to be good for the human race but I often wonder if it’s actually aiding devolution.
    The biggest problem with using domesticated animals for food is that the scale of modern operations makes them huge polluters. Remember, we didn't generally eat meat in the quantities we do these days, so a few farmyard animals could keep a family fed, and small scale farms could feed a large number of people 50 years ago or so, when meat consumption was half what it is now. Today, most meat production is on an industrial scale with correspondingly industrial levels of pollution of the land, water, and air. Add to that, the wholesale destruction of rainforests for pasture land, the amount of fertilizer and water inputs it takes to grow feed crops, and the amount of fuel expended in all the processes, and you have an industry that's not sustainable in the long term the way it operates today. The devolution that occured wasn't moving away from conventional meat sources, but the attempt at scaling small farms to industrial sizes to try to both benefit from economies of scale and meet demands for product.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by schuylergrace View Post
    The biggest problem with using domesticated animals for food is that the scale of modern operations makes them huge polluters. Remember, we didn't generally eat meat in the quantities we do these days, so a few farmyard animals could keep a family fed, and small scale farms could feed a large number of people 50 years ago or so, when meat consumption was half what it is now. Today, most meat production is on an industrial scale with correspondingly industrial levels of pollution of the land, water, and air. Add to that, the wholesale destruction of rainforests for pasture land, the amount of fertilizer and water inputs it takes to grow feed crops, and the amount of fuel expended in all the processes, and you have an industry that's not sustainable in the long term the way it operates today. The devolution that occured wasn't moving away from conventional meat sources, but the attempt at scaling small farms to industrial sizes to try to both benefit from economies of scale and meet demands for product.
    I don’t know where you get your information from or what your life experiences are but they seem to be a lot different to mine. The company my father did his apprenticeship with as a butcher in the 1930’s had a huge multi story processing plant that was established in the late 1800’s, the meat they processed came from various abattoirs on the outskirts of the city of which there where many, there have been many large scale meat processing operations globally for centuries and they are well documented. All that has little to do with my original question, but your diatribe has raised another question, if grown for meat livestock are taken out of the equation and a huge amount of resources such as fuel, fertiliser etc are channeled into growing and processing alternative food sources will it be any less polluting than growing and processing livestock feed?
    There are many mouths to feed on this planet, and there are many problems associated with doing so, if more time was spent on improving existing practices rather than trying to reinvent what has taken thousands of years to achieve I think we would arrive at a better outcome sooner.
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Skun Knuckles For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Nov 27, 2022)

Thread Information