Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 3D printer cabinet

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

3D printer cabinet

My latest "tool" purchase was a 3d printer. This is my totally gone overboard 3d printer cabinet I built to house it in.

Made mostly of steel square tube and angle iron, the side panels are made from 22 gauge sheet steel that I formed in the brake. The front lower door is 16 gauge with an angle iron frame around it. Both doors stay shut with magnets. I made the 4 hinges from spacers and round stock. The doors can simply lift off if needed. Color is Rustoleum Hammered Gray on the outside and Gloss gray inside lower cabinet. It ended up with an "arcade game" look to it so I did some fun vinyl graphics for the base using my Cricut machine. It features LED strip lighting in the upper ceiling and a small strip of LED's down in the base cabinet that lights up at the same time so finding what you need will be easy. The top has 4 glass panels, 3 of which have etched designs in for that extra bling. (left and right glass not installed yet in pics to help with moving it into my house)

The "floating" shelf that the printer sits on is made of 1 inch foam with an aluminum plate on top. I opted to do this for sound control. There should be no vibrations from the machine running as it does not contact the cabinet.

The base cabinet area will provide tons of room to store filament and other goodies and a mid pull out shelf is planned. The 3d printer has helped to build some of it's own cabinet with custom electrical outlet brackets for the back as well as a wire grommet and the two door handles.

A cabinet is a good idea for a 3d printer to keep the warmth in (especially if printing ABS) but also to cut down on any noises. In fact, I can barely hear it from a short distance away! It will also be a great way to keep it from getting dusty! My favorite part! lol

3D printer cabinet-dscn4015.jpg3D printer cabinet-dscn4016.jpg3D printer cabinet-dscn4017.jpg3D printer cabinet-dscn4019.jpg3D printer cabinet-dscn4023.jpg3D printer cabinet-dscn4024.jpg3D printer cabinet-dscn4025.jpg3D printer cabinet-dscn4027.jpg3D printer cabinet-dscn4029.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

desbromilow (Jun 16, 2020), Jon (Jun 18, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your 3D Printer Cabinet to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jun 14, 2020)

Thanks

Al8236's Tools
    When I first saw it I thought you re-purposed a popcorn machine. Nice build from scratch!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    From the time you're born till' you ride in a hearse, there's nothing so bad it couldn't be worse!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Al8236 For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Jun 17, 2020)

Thread Information