Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4th axis for milling machine

Supporting Member
    Thanks

markgyver's Tools

4th axis for milling machine

Hello
    In this video you see the first part of the build from my 4th axis.The plan is to use this axis not only for indexing but also for cnc turning on the mill. In addition a tool changer for turning tools is planned later which will be attached to the spindle.I have deliberately chosen a closed system because I do not want to have chips on the belt or in the motor.The construction itself gives more work, however, because there are a few more plates to mill.Who wants to rebuild the axle can do this without covers but I would then recommend a thicker base plate because without the covers is lost some stability. The height of the axis including jaw chuck is 120mm and is deliberately built so low that I can drive over it with my portal milling machine, which has a portal height of 125mm.The whole parts have cost me 250 euros where I bought on Ebay for 50 euros aluminum remnants and was lucky that matching plates were there.I also use a 100mm 3 jaw chuck, a closed loop stepper motor the JMC IHSS-60-36-31, HTD-5M belt with 25mm width and 2 pulleys with 40 and 26 teeth.The gear ratio is 1:1.54 which corresponds to 4.7Nm torque and a speed of about 2000 rpm.In the first video of this series I will show you the production of the shaft on which a bearing seat is. Then the manufacturing of the shaft coupler with the 2nd bearing seat and the nut for clamping.The CAD files for the rebuild you will find in the video description of the last video when I am sure that everything fits as planned.

Part list:
    JMC IHSS-60-36--31 € 70,-
    Toothbelt HTD 5M-25 - 340mm. €23,58,-
    Toothed belt pulley 40 5M 25 €16,60,-
    Toothed belt pulley 26 5M 25 €10,80,-
    100mm 3 jaw chuck €60,-
    Aluminum remnants from eBay €50,-
    Sets of screws €20,-
    Total: €250,98

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to markgyver For This Useful Post:

dhsttite (Apr 26, 2021), emu roo (Apr 26, 2021), Home-PC (Apr 26, 2021), Jon (Apr 26, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Apr 26, 2021), nova_robotics (Apr 26, 2021), Saltfever (Jun 3, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I bought a pre-cooked version of this off of fleabay a few years ago. I put an Arduino and a little LCD display on there for setting angles. Yours is more robust.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

markgyver's Tools

Hello,

in the 2nd part you can see how I made the milled parts and then assemble the main components of the axis.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markgyver For This Useful Post:

Home-PC (Jun 7, 2021), Ralphxyz (May 12, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    Strange!!!! I know more than posted the questions below and most of the answers showed up in the original post after this posted. Not sure how that happened, might be my cell connection. In any event thanks again for the great video. Now I realize what happened, the homemadetools link took me right past the first video. I will go back to bed now.

Nice work! Will this be stepper or servo driven? I ask because I'm wondering what the top speed will be and if it will be suitable for use as a lathe. Think wood working and other relatively higher speeds.
    Last edited by wizard69; May 11, 2021 at 03:15 PM.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 609 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    Will this be stepper or servo driven? I ask because I'm wondering what the top speed will be and if it will be suitable for use as a lathe. Think wood working and other relatively higher speeds.
    I have one that's stepper driven. Top speed is super slow, just a few RPM. A few years ago I tried to use it as a lathe. You can badly approximate a lathe if you have it installed on a mill. Crank the speed of your end mill and slowly rotate the workpiece. It works... kinda. It takes a long time and the result is lumpy. The problem is that end mills are not actually flat on the bottom. It doesn't replace a lathe.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

markgyver's Tools
    Hello,
    At the moment it is stepper operated because I had one lying around. The top speed is not that bad at all I think that I almost come to 2000 rpm turned aluminum for the first time yesterday and the power at higher speeds is also sufficient. Sure a servo would be better, but a stepper motor is also possible. You just can't feed several mm but 0.5mm with aluminum at about 1000rpm worked well. if you are interested you can see a short video on my instagram account (_markgyver_) or you can wait if i post the next video on youtube in about 2 weeks.
    4th axis for milling machine-d49d2a3d-ba71-4538-be42-5b5d5971468e.jpeg

Supporting Member
    Thanks

markgyver's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I have one that's stepper driven. Top speed is super slow, just a few RPM. A few years ago I tried to use it as a lathe. You can badly approximate a lathe if you have it installed on a mill. Crank the speed of your end mill and slowly rotate the workpiece. It works... kinda. It takes a long time and the result is lumpy. The problem is that end mills are not actually flat on the bottom. It doesn't replace a lathe.

Hello,

This is not true it works well as a lathe. Then you have the wrong stepper motor or wrong settings.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

markgyver's Tools

Hello,

In part 3 you can see how I turn the flange for the jaw chuck, a runout test before and after grinding the spindle. Then I build a tool holder for turning tools and finally a turning and milling test with the axis.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markgyver For This Useful Post:

brianr47 (Jun 1, 2021), Jon (May 30, 2021)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Many thanks for the excellent video as well as the completeness of your design. I especially enjoyed seeing your HEM (or adaptive) machining strategies. It appears that you have a vacuum plate, however, I never saw an o-ring in your video. How are you holding down your work? Are you using the super glue & tape method or is it vacuum? I couldn’t see well enough when you created the small holes. Were you boring holes instead of drilling? And were you thread milling? Also, that was an excellent job of grinding the spindle! I am very interested in this design but need to think about the backlash issue.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations markgyver - your Milling Machine 4th Axis is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This is a thorough build, complete with CAD files, and we're expecting that it will be used to build even more homemade tools in the future.

Some more good builds from this week:

Belt Grinder by LMMasterMariner
    Tree Stump Extractor by darus627
    Drill Press by Vyacheslav.Nevolya
    Spot Welder by mariost
    Bearing Removal Method by engineer steve
    Mini Sawmill by fawabros
    Bender by orioncons36
    Etching Tank by editor@glue-it.com
    Incline Table Saw by tado creation
    Cordless Drill Wall Holster by jeremycook
    Wide Angle Lens Adaptor by theeddies
    Benchtop Lathe Cross Slide Sled by Claudio HG
    Handheld Circular Saw by RCTURKA
    Circle Cutting Jig by orioncons36
    Clutch Adjustment Tool by Frank S

markgyver - we'll be adding your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll now notice the wrench-on-pedestal award in the awards showcase in your postbit, visible beneath your username:

And, you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon (US-only), PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and award choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

Nice work!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

markgyver (Jun 7, 2021)

Thread Information