Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 5C collet key hex driver style

Supporting Member
    Thanks

petertha's Tools

5C collet key hex driver style

My 5C collet chuck has a very fine feed scroll, which is another way of saying it takes a whole bunch of turns to suck up the collet into the body & tighten the stock. Even more fun when you have to go back & forth between collet sizes for sequential operations & have lots of parts to do. OK I'm lazy & I have office fingers LOL. I made this key from O1. It fits into my adjustable torque 1/4" hex driver. Plug it in & away you go. I set the torque to lowest setting which results in not quite finger tight, so there is no risk of damage or anything. I guess I could find a setting & get a consistent torque setting too.

I made an error on the semi circular detente relief groove position on the hex shank. I guessed at it when I drew it up & forgot to check an actual tool. The hex tools I have have the detente further distance in from the end, but luckily this one still engages & grips. I have some other unconventional gadgets in mind that I want to hex drive so it was good to get one under my belt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5C collet key hex driver style-img_1837_edited-1.jpg   5C collet key hex driver style-img_1838_edited-1.jpg   5C collet key hex driver style-img_1839_edited-1.jpg   5C collet key hex driver style-img_1841_edited-1.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to petertha For This Useful Post:

baja (May 7, 2019), bruce.desertrat (May 6, 2019), Jon (May 9, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (May 7, 2019), Toolmaker51 (May 6, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks petertha! We've added your Collet Key to our Machining category,
    as well as to your builder page: petertha's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information