Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: About steel buildings

Thanks

About steel buildings

I have something to discuss pre-manufactured steel buildings. I am settled in Toronto now. There is a plot near to my home. I am going to start a workshop there. There had a building before, but it is almost collapsed now. I was thinking of renovating it. But my friend told me it would be expensive. He told me to place a steel building and show me some samples (Norsteel's Pre-Engineered Steel Building Gallery | Norsteel Buildings). Which would be the better choice? Do we need any permits or documentations if we proceed with the steel building? I am expecting your replies.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Steven,
    In all municipalities they want your money, so in saying that, yes you will need to have a permit. The company constructing the building in some or most cases will acquire the permits for the building, discuss this with the company as to what they will do; also do you want windows, that's extra. There is several style of steel buildings besides what is shown in the pictures so you may want to look at what other companies have to offer as well.
    I suggest before you go to far with your acquiring the contract on the building, you project all the costs before you start, that way you wont have any surprises.
    Best to you in your new adventure,
    Bob

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    What Bob said!

As you delve into this you are going to find everybody is going to want to jump in your pockets big time. One of the factors you didn't mention was what do you see doing in this shop? That dictates how much room you are going to need. And you have to look at this honestly. There are those who make this huge shop and have no $$ to buy equipment left over so it turns into a storage for junk and is lost as a shop. I use my two car garage to great effect because everything is on castors and I put everything I'm not using in a back corner out of the way. But I'm mostly doing metal fab and some minor wood work with only some car repair. I'm not building a car or airplane

I also live where the weather and air are wonderful and I want and can be out in it as much as possible. My whole life I've been happiest under an awning with as much fresh air and sunlight as I can get. Not everybody is like that. My garage door faces south and I open the door and wheel all the equipment into open air and have at it. I hate dust and enclosed spaces so it works for me.

What you are going to find out is when you start the permit process you are also going to have the taxman taking a look to re assess your property, bonus......NOT. Personally, for what I do, if the old building was on a slab, I'd get rid of the old structure and depending on how big the slab was, drop one or two 40' sea containers on it and put an awning between them. Here, because it's not permanent it doesn't need a permit and they are cheap. I can get 40' hi cube(18" taller than reg 8' tall) for $2500. They are sturdy, secure, self contained and quick. Depending on what kind of awning you put up, for less than 1/2 the price of a metal building(which does not include install etc etc) you can be done quickly. Just my 2c.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 18, 2016), PJs (Oct 11, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Oct 12, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A couple of other things which have not been covered yet additional to permits will be the required inspections for your C of O
    ( certificate of occupancy)
    Also if this building will be open for public access of any kind most Muni's require handicap access as well as restroom facilities.
    Should you ever have employees which in many cases also includes part time and unpaid or paid apprentices or interns you could be required to have a break room. This will also require parking. next the area beautification Nazis will require landscaping.
    The local Chamber of commerce, Police,and Fire departments will have their say as well before you will be allowed to have the utilities turned on
    This link may help you in your area
    Toronto Building Fee Schedule - Forms, Fees & Guides - Toronto Building | City of Toronto
    Good luck, Once you start down the road of no return you may even be required to have a perfectly good slab removed only to have to replace it.
    If you go with a Pre-engineered steel building be sure to ask lots of questions of the company you are considering
    Questions like do they offer a set of plans for the various blood suckers will they help you with or acquire the permits and inspections for you can they do a turn key site prep. from start to completion or how much can you save if you do some of the work yourself.
    Make a list of everything you can think of then leave several blank spaces for additional answers to questions they may offer that you haven't thought of.
    Using shipping containers or retired house hold goods transport trailers like previously mentioned can be a viable option, but in some areas those still will be highly scrutinized ass well , and in some areas not even allowed without full disclosure, inspections and permits

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 9, 2016 at 12:07 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 18, 2016), PJs (Oct 11, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Oct 12, 2016)

Thread Information