Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: AC to DC welding machine output voltage conversion - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts

AC to DC welding machine output voltage conversion - video

AC to DC welding machine output voltage conversion. By Murat Guney. 19:41 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

carloski (Aug 14, 2022), emu roo (Aug 4, 2022), EnginePaul (Aug 4, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Aug 5, 2022), nova_robotics (Aug 4, 2022), Sleykin (Aug 5, 2022), Tule (Aug 8, 2022), WmRMeyers (Aug 4, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 616 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I'm not a huge fan of the rectifiers selected, but the way they were paralleled is very smart. Attaching wires to opposing ends like that helps ensure they load is shared equally between the rectifiers. The same arrangement can be found in self-balancing glycol heating systems.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 5, 2022)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the rectifiers selected, but the way they were paralleled is very smart. Attaching wires to opposing ends like that helps ensure they load is shared equally between the rectifiers. The same arrangement can be found in self-balancing glycol heating systems.
    The problem with silicon rectifiers, they have a negative temperature coefficient (relative to resistance). So when you parallel the diodes, the hottest one has the lowest resistance, and hogs the current, making it hotter, and you end up with thermal runaway.
    Circuits that parallel transistors to boost the current capability, put a small value resistor in series with each of their emitter current paths that inhibits the thermal runaway, as there is a voltage feedback from the resistors increased voltage drop, to the current injected into the base of the transistor, to regulate the collector current.
    I do like the copper bus bars connecting the bridge rectifiers together.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 616 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    The problem with silicon rectifiers, they have a negative temperature coefficient (relative to resistance). So when you parallel the diodes, the hottest one has the lowest resistance, and hogs the current, making it hotter, and you end up with thermal runaway.
    Circuits that parallel transistors to boost the current capability, put a small value resistor in series with each of their emitter current paths that inhibits the thermal runaway, as there is a voltage feedback from the resistors increased voltage drop, to the current injected into the base of the transistor, to regulate the collector current.
    I do like the copper bus bars connecting the bridge rectifiers together.
    This is true. A few months back I posted a comment on here about how to use the intrinsic diode in MOSFETs to make rectifiers that have positive temperature coefficients. I'd post it again but... that's pretty much the meat and potatoes of the comment. MOSFETs have positive temperature coefficients which distributes load when paralleling the things. Or you could just buy the proper component with an appropriate rating instead of bodging things together. One or the other.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information