Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Adding pre-flow to spool gun

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools

Adding pre-flow to spool gun

I discovered a short time ago that the problem with aluminum wire burn-back at startup when using my spool gun was due to not having sufficient Argon gas coverage upon initiation of the arc. I solved the problem by holding the trigger for a few seconds before starting to weld, so the gas could get through the hose to the gun’s tip. But, then I had to grab my side cutter, and snip the excess wire before I could start the weld. My modification allows me to trigger the gas solenoid without powering the wire drive motor. Thusly, I can, now, just grab the gun, cut the motor, and charge the hose with gas each time I want to initiate the weld.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adding pre-flow to spool gun-gun-before.png   Adding pre-flow to spool gun-gun-after.png   Adding pre-flow to spool gun-done.png  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 6, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Dec 6, 2023), nova_robotics (Dec 14, 2023), Sleykin (Dec 7, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    What a great but simple fix to a nagging problem. Amazingly my ell cheapo Chineseium spool gun still works. against all reasoning. but I need a cover for the spool like yours has and the next time I need to use it I think I will incorporate your switch on mine.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Gadgeteer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    What a great but simple fix to a nagging problem. Amazingly my ell cheapo Chineseium spool gun still works. against all reasoning. but I need a cover for the spool like yours has and the next time I need to use it I think I will incorporate your switch on mine.
    Thanks! Considering all of the novel ideas that you have posted, I'm surprised that I came up with this one before you did.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gadgeteer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 6, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgeteer View Post
    Thanks! Considering all of the novel ideas that you have posted, I'm surprised that I came up with this one before you did.
    I've just been backing the tension off until the flow is there. it has been one of those it's not broke don't fix it things. Since I haven't had to use it very much in quite a while.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information