Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable coiled tube straightening tool

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Adjustable coiled tube straightening tool

Hi All

I am making a copper boiler for a 3" scale Foden steam engine and need to straighten approximately 44-foot of 3/8 coiled copper tube to make 63, 9" long fire tubes. I have purchased 2 x 25-foot coils of 20-gauge tube.
    So, after a little research and viewing both commercially and homemade designs I came up with this which seems to work very well and is adjustable for other diameter tubes. I purchased the bobbins from eBay for a pound a piece which included the bearing and made the shafts and main body of the tool.

It works very simply, to set the bobbins you get a straight bar the same diameter as the tube to be un-coiled and straightened, adjust the bobbins to contact this bar so it can move smoothly between all six bobbins. Then roll the coiled tube between the bobbins. I went backwards and forwards a few times on the piece shown in the photo, as it was very bent before I started. Therefore, after this quick test it seems to work OK

Many thanks again for taking the time to view this post.

Adjustable coiled tube straightening tool-img_0438.jpgAdjustable coiled tube straightening tool-img_0439.jpgAdjustable coiled tube straightening tool-img_0440.jpgAdjustable coiled tube straightening tool-img_0441.jpgAdjustable coiled tube straightening tool-img_0443.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

aphilipmarcou (May 16, 2018), Jon (Jan 11, 2018), Kevic (Jan 10, 2018), Mononeuron (Jan 9, 2018), mr herb (Feb 13, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Jan 9, 2018), NortonDommi (Jan 11, 2018), olderdan (Jan 10, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 10, 2018), PJs (Jan 9, 2018), rlm98253 (Jan 9, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 9, 2018), sossol (May 16, 2018), thevillageinn (Feb 13, 2020), toma (Jan 10, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jan 10, 2018), Tule (May 19, 2018)

Thanks

toma's Tools
    A very good idea to make pipe straightener from the combination of two pipe benders...!

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Thank you
    I would like to say it was my idea/design (but I can't) after searching the internet I found lots of ideas and someone had made one very similar to mine out of old pulleys but this could only strighten one diameter of pipe. So I decided to try and improve this style of design so I could strighten any size pipe within reason a model engieer would use. So I just adapted their design I am affraid.
    But thank you for viewing the post
    The home engineer

Thanks

toma's Tools
    Do not be afraid,any tool improvement is welcome..
    Best regards..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg 
Views:	881 
Size:	302.7 KB 
ID:	21382Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0440.jpg 
Views:	845 
Size:	473.7 KB 
ID:	21383
    I've been associated wire straighteners, they work the same way. The spool hub is under just enough tension to not allow slack and wire initially fed through the rollers by hand. Rollers are set to diameter of equivalent music wire, on 7 'stations', all mounted on a single plate, arranged otherwise like that made by thehomehengineer. Of two different adjustment types; one had rollers mounted on eccentrics, other machine had rollers on slides adjusted by a screw/ jam nut. Either plate was adjusted on the bench, then mounted on the particular machine.
    Entirely analog, machine cut wires to length and partially stripped each end, in gauges between 18-28. The insulation was separated, not removed until placement and affixing terminal or soldering.
    With the additional number of stations, material straightens in a single pass.

Same process works in die presses, straighteners preparing sheet metal for the feeder mechanism as pulled from the uncoiler. Thickest I've ever seen run was 8 gauge, but that is nowhere close to the limit.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 10, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Coiled Tube Straightening Tool to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,531 Times in 463 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Nicely done, thats a lot of tube to straighten, does the bobbin profile have to match the tube dia?.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thehomeengineer View Post
    Thank you
    I would like to say it was my idea/design (but I can't) after searching the internet I found lots of ideas and someone had made one very similar to mine
    Both are probably true . See Multiple discovery.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi olderdan
    Thank you for taking the time to get in touch
    The tube in one of the photos was used as a test piece and it was well and truely deformed to such a state I thought I might have to scarp it. The tool has made it reuseable and to answer your question the bobbins are not the same profile as the tube. The strightening process also doesn't seem to require much pressure from the bobbins, all I did when setting the tool, I simply used a stright solid bar of the same size as the tube to be strightened with the six bobbins in contact with the bar and when moved backwards and forward all bobbins rotated freely. Luckily this seems to work fine and I am pleased with the results so far.
    The home engineer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Jan 11, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools

Up date on on coil straightening jig

Hi All

I have finally got around to using the coil straightening jig I made, it must be a few years back now.

The coil was initially uncoiled by hand for roughly 3' and then cut off at 27,1/4". Which would be enough material to make three 9" fire tubes per length. The 3/8" diameter copper was then fed back and forth through the jig and and rotated at the same time until straight. The tube came out really nice so really pleased with the homemade jig.

Adjustable coiled tube straightening tool-copper-coil.jpg3/8" copper coil

Adjustable coiled tube straightening tool-coil-strightening-jig.jpgstraightening jig

Adjustable coiled tube straightening tool-fire-tubes.jpgLengths nice and straight, ready to be cut in to three pieces to make boiler fire tubes.

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 19, 2024), olderdan (Feb 19, 2024), Ralphxyz (Feb 24, 2024)

Thread Information