Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Airsoft flour-filled land mine - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,783 Times in 9,901 Posts

Airsoft flour-filled land mine - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Apr 12, 2022)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Not something I'd care to be playing with. Get a spark, open flame, or possibly a hot ember, and you could get a fuel-air explosion. I've helped create them intentionally back when I was in the USAF, and it was all fun with us waiting for the explosion 2000 feet away, and in a shelter. Standing on/in the explosion would not be fun even if it was pretty small. We got 0.2kt yield from several BBQ tanks of propane, and ambient air in a plastic bubble. About 50' diameter hemisphere, IIRC.

They do it accidentally now and then in theater productions with flour, air, and a candle or some similar source of ignition.

Bill

2000 Tool Plans

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,829 Times in 11,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Not something I'd care to be playing with. Get a spark, open flame, or possibly a hot ember, and you could get a fuel-air explosion. I've helped create them intentionally back when I was in the USAF, and it was all fun with us waiting for the explosion 2000 feet away, and in a shelter. Standing on/in the explosion would not be fun even if it was pretty small. We got 0.2kt yield from several BBQ tanks of propane, and ambient air in a plastic bubble. About 50' diameter hemisphere, IIRC.

They do it accidentally now and then in theater productions with flour, air, and a candle or some similar source of ignition.

Bill

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

WmRMeyers (Dec 4, 2021)

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Great find, Jon. People have a hard time believing stuff like that can be hazardous.

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    Great find, Jon. People have a hard time believing stuff like that can be hazardous.

Bill
    It is a sure bet that none of them have ever witnessed a flour mill explode
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Little kids play army. I suspect very few real combat vets participate in AirSoft; there'd be little room amongst the no-longer kiddies grown into puffy meat sacks. That would reinforce disregard for "it's just flour" and other mistakenly innocuous safety as well.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Little kids play army. I suspect very few real combat vets participate in AirSoft; there'd be little room amongst the no-longer kiddies grown into puffy meat sacks. That would reinforce disregard for "it's just flour" and other mistakenly innocuous safety as well.
    I own several air rifles and short guns none could even remotely be called an orange tipped air soft one of my .22 pellet rifles has just about the equivalent muzzle velocity as a .22 hornet the 36grain pellets have about the same stopping power as a 22long rifle round. although nowhere near the range, but a neighbor has one of those .45 cal AIr guns with twin 3000PSi tanks it will fire about 20 times on a charge I wouldn't want to be in the crosshairs of that thing He has even killed a couple hogs with it
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I own several air rifles and short guns none could even remotely be called an orange tipped air soft one of my .22 pellet rifles has just about the equivalent muzzle velocity as a .22 hornet the 36grain pellets have about the same stopping power as a 22long rifle round. although nowhere near the range, but a neighbor has one of those .45 cal AIr guns with twin 3000PSi tanks it will fire about 20 times on a charge I wouldn't want to be in the crosshairs of that thing He has even killed a couple hogs with it
    I played war back in the days when Combat was on TV. Then in the USAF, we played war when I was a communications troop, much of my last dozen year in. That was played with MILES gear, essentially laser tag. Sort of in between those, did mock combat in armour with rattan swords on the honor system. The swords were about the right weigh for a real weapon, but not sharp. A bit of combat archery, too, with large blunt points on the arrows and crossbow bolts. Got my left forearm broken in a sword fight live on the news in Las Vegas, doing that stuff in the Society for Creative Anachronism.

IF I were to go play soldier again, I could be tempted to do paintball.

I've used air rifles to kill rats, .177 caliber. I've been looking for a (preferably much) larger caliber air rifle for some years now. Haven't found one I can afford at the same time I've had disposable income not earmarked for something else. You know, food, machine tools, that sort of thing. Maybe one of these days I'll get crazier than usual, and build one. Somewhere here I have plans for a Girondoni. Lewis and Clark carried one with them on their Voyage of Discovery.

Bill

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    AirSoft are nothing close to rifled, pellet firing, pneumatic/ CO2 "guns". Once worked for a mountain sheep hunter who fired on small dots hanging in his fireplace.
    Still have my nearly 60 year old Sheridan 5mm (.20 cal), newer Gamo single shot target pistols, a full size Gamo .22 rifle, one incredible Daisy .177. 777 Model. It pours them into dime size groups all day. Gave up trying to snag a IZH 49 that's even more precise.
    No question, such devices are more beneficial trigger training and flinch detection than any of my firearms.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Ed
    Supporting Member
    Thanks

Ed's Tools
    These people are all "Darwin Award" Candidates.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information