Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Wheel ripped from hub - photo

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mr mikey (Nov 21, 2022), nova_robotics (Nov 21, 2022)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    That is caused by the wheel nuts not being tightened properly, one has come loose and started the others coming loose, whilst they have merrily kept driving along.
    Now with all that shaking and totally ignoring the vibrations and noise, eventually the wheel studs get chewed out,and or, the holes get flogged out and that is the end result.

One of my 'brother's in law' had this happen to him, but he was too stupid to stop and check the car to see what the problem was.
    So this is what he presented the mechanic with.

Ah well, I've heard tell that an "IDIOT is born every minute", eh.

Oh, the tow truck driver took lots of pics and plastered them over the local community web, just to make sure he was totally embarrassed by his stupidity.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenie For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Nov 21, 2022), nova_robotics (Nov 21, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    An awfully low production rate of manufacturing breakaway fasteners too.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Nov 21, 2022)

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    I've seen this happen many times, when asked how long has your car been making noise?, what noise or it just started an hour ago.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Saw this happen on aluminum racing rims. Also saw the centers of framed aluminum racing rims torn out when used for auto crossings.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Before I retired I worked 35 years in road construction. I have found dozens of tire/wheel combos like that one shown in the picture. Many of them
    with the new "tits" not worn off of the tire, apparently because the wheel was not properly tightened after installing a new set of tires. Every briar patch along the interstate highways has possible tire/wheel finds. Mobile home tire/wheel combos are scattered everywhere. I kept track one week while I was marking patches, and I found ten mobile home tire/wheel combos that week and I only looked each day during my 30 minute lunch break. I found a few 20 inch semi tires with the tube liner inside and the sticker still on the tread. How did that happen? I remember finding new looking Budd wheels with no tires on two separate occasions. There's treasure along our interstates!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    That tire looks to me like it was just installed on that wheel.

Wheel ripped from hub - photo-loose-lugs.png

Thanks
    I've experienced the flip side to this problem twice (both wifey and daughter-in-law) whose vehicles had the lug nuts tightened so hard one of the wheel lugs snapped off and on the other, the front wheel developed a wobble - which got corrected after I loosened and re-set the nuts.

This was at a particular nationally known "discounted tire" place (hint!). Since then, I've always made the attendant(s) show me their faces or get their names in the hope that, maybe, they'd pay closer attention... even though I can't recognize faces for squat! That B.S. they give you about their tools being torque-limited is just that... B.S.! On a lightweight passenger car, you shouldn't need to jump on a very long cheater bar to remove lugs nuts or require using your heavier duty torque wrench to loosen the nuts!

[Bonus side story: The tech told my daughter-on-law those lugs wear out over time and will often break off. I went back to that store to find that guy just to hear him say that again to someone with gray, thinning hair. The tech was "not available". I'm not saying it absolutely can't happen, like maybe on abused commercial vehicles, but this was a low mileage passenger car.]

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeVanGeaux For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Nov 27, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Was pulling a pop-up camper years ago with my car and the frame of a mobile home(probably headed for the scrap yard) was being pulled in the opposite direction on 4 lane street. A wheel came off the trailer and thankfully safely went between me and the person to my right without hitting either of our vehicles. I saw it coming and there was nothing I could do.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeVanGeaux View Post
    [Bonus side story: The tech told my daughter-on-law those lugs wear out over time and will often break off. I went back to that store to find that guy just to hear him say that again to someone with gray, thinning hair. The tech was "not available". I'm not saying it absolutely can't happen, like maybe on abused commercial vehicles, but this was a low mileage passenger car.]
    I'm picturing myself being told that, long before the gray, thinning hair disguise.
    Just how many sets of your low mileage expectancy tires will I have to purchase for that to occur?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information