Correcting Mistakes
Had to strip the engine as the threaded end of the new crankpin was slightly too long and catching on a camshaft bush after the final bolt up, a few hours work for a 5 minute fix. Having to make exhaust pipe retaining nuts I discovered the threads in the cylinder heads needed re cutting. Not wanting to strip the heads yet again I made a rough and ready tool steel tap .006 oversize with hand ground flutes to tap the heads in situ. The next problem was sizing the threads single point cut on the new nuts with the bike 4 feet away. I made a ring gauge with the same tap which was also used to face the nuts after parting of. This tap was also used to thread the cast exhaust box which was stripped, the only machine I have is a lathe so a really desperate set up was arrived at to bore and thread using the engaged lead screw and tap combined pulled round by hand.
AJS Restoration-tap.jpgAJS Restoration-heads.jpgAJS Restoration-gauge.jpgAJS Restoration-boring-1.jpgAJS Restoration-boring-2.jpgAJS Restoration-set-up.jpgAJS Restoration-threading.jpgAJS Restoration-finished.jpgAJS Restoration-new-nuts.jpg