Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Albaret Steam Roller - Rare - Video

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools

Albaret Steam Roller - Rare - Video

A real steam roller. Note the water tank on the roof. I appears it supplied the boiler as well as water for spraying the rollers to keep asphalt from sticking. These seem to be very rare and I can not find much info on them. If you know something about it, please tell us!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tsbrownie For This Useful Post:

Altair (Apr 9, 2023), baja (Aug 9, 2019), olderdan (Aug 9, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 8, 2019)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    What a stupid presentation, it is a "Steam Roller" nothing at all said about the boiler! Duh.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Wow what a coincidence, here i am looking for a metal bender on Google and just happen to look at this site, And we have an Alberet steam roller parked in the front yard...!
    Ours is one of 2 imported into Queensland Australia in the early 1980's. It is a French Roller and i think 26 of them were imported into Thailand in 1952 for road making.
    It is a fired by wood so it has a larger than usual fire box. It has 2 gears and the levers are above where you put the wood in the firebox. It weighs 12 tonnes and 15 with the wheels full of water. It goes at a fast walking pace in top gear. Ours is ticketed to run at 130 psi but the originally ran around 160 psi and it has a single cylinder.
    If you'd like any other info just ask. I gather an advanced reply you can post pics. I will post some pics soon. Also if you search Youtube for "Alberet Steam Roller" you will see it in action.
    Cheers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Metaltrades01 For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 9, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    What a stupid presentation, it is a "Steam Roller" nothing at all said about the boiler! Duh.
    I think that is a little harsh Ralph, agreed more info would be nice but he is only looking at someone else's machine so he is not able to crawl all over it, I thought it was nice to see.

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Ok, sorry but I really wanted to know more. He didn't even note the firebox while looking in the backend.

Thanks, Metaltrades01, I searched Youtube for "Alberet Steam Roller" but did not see anything.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,796 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Metaltrades01 - you can embed your video directly on this forum just by typing in the video url. So you would just type in something like this, and it would automatically convert into an embedded video:

Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gajPKrRT2F8

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools
    Great info, thanks. I added it to the description. Why do you have one sitting in your front yard? There has to be a story there.

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools
    This one was sitting on walled gov't property in Thailand. The guard let us in even though it was a weekend, but he also kept an eye on us the whole time. So doing anything they would consider "disrespectful" was out of the question.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information