Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Amish John Deere tractor - photo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (Aug 29, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    It's a Mennonite, not Amish, tractor. Their restrictions on self-propelled vehicles are less stringent than the Amish (of course, you have to paint the shiny chrome black to please god).

The steel wheels are there to prevent the youngsters from using the tractors to take joyrides into town...

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Amish-h...ls-on-tractors

https://wcfcourier.com/news/local/cu...cc4c03286.html

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 30, 2020), Jon (Aug 29, 2020), KustomsbyKent (Aug 29, 2020), nova_robotics (Aug 29, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The Amish that live about 10 mile from me have rubber tired tractors and combines. They only use horses for transportation amoung theirselves and to go shopping. All the wagons and machinery have rubber tire. Two more Amish settlements around me have no rubber tired machinery, but have crawler tractors to use to load and haul stuff. One of them put rubber tires over the steel wheels so as not to tear up the roads so much and make the wheels last longer

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I was told that the Amish belief does not allow for their community to be a member of any kind of outside cooperative ( rural electric coop ) for example. That is why everything is either powered by humans, animals, or gasoline engines. The Mennonites are a little bit more liberal. I live in close proximity to both groups and all I can say is they are good honest folks that keep to themselves.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to owen moore For This Useful Post:

toeless joe (Aug 30, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Owen, I agrew the Amish are good honest people. The close by Amish first moved in from Ohio about 12 years ago. It was one family and about 13 family members. They were faily monnter in believes. Over the years more famlies have moved in from all over, with about 25 families living there now. My wife hauls a construction crew around 5 to 6 days aweek. I some times haul another crew or drive a school bus for them. They have solar power at every farm. They mainly use battery power hand toolos and some larger electric tools by portable gen sets

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information