Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Angle grinding jig for bench grinder

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Angle grinding jig for bench grinder

In a recent post on another thread I mentioned an angle grinding jig I had built for my bench grinder, then realized I had never published a thread on that tool.

The jig consists of a sliding protractor plate that slides along a fence on the grinder. This picture shows the top of the plate. The arc of holes provides locations for the protractor arm every five degrees. The arm has a threaded, dog-pointed screw that locks into one of these holes and tightens down to hold the end of the arm down against the plate surface. The SHCS on which the arm pivots can also be tightened down to firmly lock the arm in place.

At the upper left and right of the plate you can see two brass nuts which lock two setscrews that project through the plate. These setscrews are used to tilt the plate up slightly when grinding relief on lathe tools.

Being aluminum, the plate and arm serve as a nice heat sink to wick heat away from tools being ground.

The bottom of the plate has a piece of angle screwed in place. This angle rides along the tool rest on the grinder to keep the table, and the tool being ground, a constant distance from the grinder wheel as the plate is pushed left and right.

And here's how it looks on the grinder. The small, crappy tool rests that came with the grinder were discarded and a long piece of aluminum sheet fitted across the front of the grinder. The plate rides back and forth on this extended tool rest; you can just make out the piece of angle on the underside against the front edge of the sheet.

I'm sure you clever folks can think of all sorts of attachments to ride along on the protractor plate. A dressing diamond with a micrometer feed mechanism is an obvious one.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 8, 2017 at 02:06 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Apr 5, 2016), cmarlow (Oct 9, 2021), Jon (Apr 2, 2016), kbalch (Apr 5, 2016), PJs (Apr 4, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Oct 12, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Bench Grinder Angle Grinding Jig to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Ed ke6bnl's Tools
    I was thinking that could be use in the vice of the mill and in the stand up position to lay a part at a set angle and tighten into the vice for an angle cut of the part.
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame going for a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S
    2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
    1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
    I was thinking that could be use in the vice of the mill and in the stand up position to lay a part at a set angle and tighten into the vice for an angle cut of the part.
    It could be so used but I think you will find that commercially available angle blocks...

Enco - Guaranteed Lowest Prices on Machinery, Tools and Shop Supplies

or my blue collar sine bar...

http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/b...8996#post39492

will be more secure and offer you a greater choice of angles.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

jotasierra's Tools
    Interesante aporte mklotz, gracias, modificare el asiento individual de cada piedra por uno longitudinal como el tuyo junto con el implemento mostrado, creo que la platina larga entre las dos piedras da mayor precisión al trabajo y más seguridad el el amolado. otra ves gracias y hasta pronto.:aplausos:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    It pays haunting archives at HMT.net., whether cruising or clicking on related links. Mr. K. especially, is diligent about related material.
    Unsure how this was missed, yet 5+ years on, this is still a good idea. As he states, this is not ideal clamped in a mill vise, but the concept mounted on an angle plate sure is.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information