God only knows how old this piece is. It has babbetted bearings though. They stopped using them things shortly after the Civil War I think? Originally there was a flat pulley sheeve on the shaft. This being the 21st century I decided to change that out for a V belt pulley. Now initially I knocked a frame together out of some scrap wood for this piece. But that ended up taking up too much room in my workshop. So I redid it in metal, specifically to fit this spot. As compactly as I could possibly make it.
Because space is an issue in my workshop anymore. Then I welded a lot of it together because I need practice stick welding. Plus I don't think it is too bad a process for this sort of thing. The bits of scrap steel I used I'm never going to want for anything else. It was all real garbage. Stuff was either bent, or so rust pitted, it wasn't good for much.
Anyhow, I'll put up some build pictures, then pictures of the finished build. I ripped off the Tormek F style tool rest design for this project. I ain't got no $1,000+ for one of their grinders. Even if I did I'd have to be drunk to spend that kind of money on a grinder.