Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else here not work from plans and drawings?

Thanks

th62's Tools

Anyone else here not work from plans and drawings?

I don't work from plans or drawings, I plan and design as I work, similarly, I also don't copy other's plans and build from them. Quite often, I don't even measure. I'm often asked for plans of things I design and build, my answer is always the same: 'The plans are in my head, you can't have that, because I'm using it'. I'm widely criticised on other forums for my methodology.

Anybody else work the same?

Just one of the plans swimming around inside my head.

I'm often told my head is full of $#!t!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone else here not work from plans and drawings?-trike.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by th62; Aug 21, 2023 at 06:16 PM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to th62 For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 24, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Aug 23, 2023), Philip Davies (Aug 24, 2023), piper184 (Aug 23, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by th62 View Post
    I don't work from plans or drawings, I plan and design as I work, similarly, I also don't copy other's plans and build from them. Quite often, I don't even measure. I'm often asked for plans of things I design and build, my answer is always the same: 'The plans are in my head, you can't have that, because I'm using it'. I'm widely criticised on other forums for my methodology.

If I am prototyping something for someone who plans on going into manufacture, then I draw up 3d parts and assemblies in SolidWorks 2023
    Most of the stuf I make for my own use is just throw the parts in a pile and sort out what I feel will best serve what I want to build. I do measure for machining hole locations and bearing mounting or shafts or for symmetric parts.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 23, 2023), piper184 (Aug 23, 2023)

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Formal drawings? Not often, but sketches, outlines, dimensioned drawings of details, notes made on scrap paper ... I draw things up all the time. I do it so I can figure out materials, spacings, bom, shapes, etc. - so I can use what I have in inventory (the "stuff" piles) and what I have to get (fasteners, tooling, consumables, etc.).

Keeping everything in my head is for the concept phase, but even then I will sketch it out so I don't forget. This is especially needed if you work on a whole bunch of things at the same time.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

cagiva (Aug 27, 2023), desbromilow (Aug 23, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Aug 23, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    If it's fairly simple I use my head. Sometimes I have to work out the math, or calculate an angle or something. But generally no drawings.

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 2,650 Times in 710 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by th62 View Post

I pretty much work the same. I believe that if someone wants to copy something that I have done, then the idea is the important thing, that and photos should be enough to work on. Exact dimensioned drawings seem unnecessary once you have the idea.
    BTW It seems to me that you ought to ditch those other forums.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 24, 2023), Little Rabbit (Aug 23, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Aug 23, 2023)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    The value of this forum is the idea or solution. We are, makers, fabricators, doers. We each have our own tool environment and accomplish our goal in a manner that is special us. We also bring and incredibly varied experience and intellect. Many times, if someone asks for drawings they are just being lazy and/or lack the creativity to see a solution. Many will always ask for free IP but your gift is the idea. How much you do after that is individual choice but you should not feel obligated to spoon-feed anybody. If you are paid for your effort then different story.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

baja (Aug 24, 2023), mklotz (Aug 24, 2023), tonyfoale (Aug 24, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    For me it depends on the complexity, materials, and the tolerances required. Simple things are all in my head. Preplanning for nearly everything starts there for sure, as levels of complexity build, I get it down on paper. Sketch or more detailed as the design requires. As the cost of materials goes up, the details in the planning/drawings increase.

Right now for example, I need to make some 2.250" diameter disks from 0.375" steel. That is not cheap. I have some 5.475" laser cut round plates. I got them for free but I do not want to waste them. I can get 3 disks for sure. But if I change my design, I can get 4 from each plate. I need to draw that up to see how much I need to take off my design. Looks like 2.200" will fit 4, and will fit on one disk. Some may be able to figure stuff like that just using math/trig, but I need to draw it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Aug 23, 2023)

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    Formal drawings? Not often, but sketches, outlines, dimensioned drawings of details, notes made on scrap paper ... I draw things up all the time. I do it so I can figure out materials, spacings, bom, shapes, etc. - so I can use what I have in inventory (the "stuff" piles) and what I have to get (fasteners, tooling, consumables, etc.).

Keeping everything in my head is for the concept phase, but even then I will sketch it out so I don't forget. This is especially needed if you work on a whole bunch of things at the same time.
    Similar method here, but I've taken to documenting the build later (dimensioned drawings, etc) so others can replicate/ learn... I used to face a lot of similar comments as mentioned by the original post, but found a lot of the younger/ newer people joining machining/ making as a hobby are missing the childhood I took for granted. Because they are missing the foundation which allows them to see the concept and then derive their own method, I at least document some of the method to help them build up their knowledge/ wisdom. By helping the next generation come up, I hope they will be able to give their children a better start in manual arts/ interests than they got.

Des
    Last edited by desbromilow; Aug 23, 2023 at 06:47 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Little Rabbit's Tools
    The old (army?) saying runs true, "it's not stupid if it works"!

You should work to use your skills and abilities to your best advantage. If others can't work that way, that's their problem.

e

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    I was really good at the fabrication part of my Industrial Design schooling, but not so much the ideation part, which is where you sketch out idea, refining them in waves until you end up with either a viable idea ready for prototyping or something that the customer likes.This negatively affected my grades in that area. My ADHD brain thinks through and dismisses ideas faster than I can draw them, so I ended up with not much more than a few half-drawn sketches that are all but unrecognizable. I tried ignoring the random thoughts, but never could. A couple of times I did the sketches after the final project by remembering the ideas that I'd rejected.
    With behavioral therapy I've learned how to adapt, so now I can at least draw up plans and ideate a bit. Still, most of my project plans are limited to showing the absolutes - those aspects that must be a certain way in order to do their job - leaving the rest to be at least modified to suit if not made up on the fly.

Another thing I do that may not be as strange as i think is that I'll meditate on a project, for lack of a better term. When I'm falling asleep or just resting I'll let a part of my mind work through ideas, then when I have one I think is good will imagine fabricating the entire project down to selecting the tools I'll use for each operation. Whenever this reveals a flaw I'll slip back to the ideation phase, then work back to fabricating. Rinse Repeat. Often this forms a sort of muscle memory so when I fabricate in real life I'm more or less working from memory. That it's a memory of something that hadn't happened in real life doesn't matter. When I'm awake and doing something that doesn't require much concentration I can to the above at a slower pace. Occasionally I'll have what is like an epiphany where my mind's eye presents a fully fleshed-out idea that I wasn't consciously aware that I was thinking about. I can draw it out while mentally examining (rotating, disassembling, adjusting) just as easily as if it were sitting on a table in real life.

Neil

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Aug 24, 2023)

Thread Information