Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone else here not work from plans and drawings?

Thanks

piper184's Tools
    I mostly fabricate things off the top of my head, jotting down an important dimension or some part of the construct.
    Of course, not every object comes out completely correct the first time which leads to rebuilds and do-overs. Rev B if you will.
    Sometimes it costs time or materials but that is how I learn. But making exact plans takes time too.
    Following plans exactly is too much like "sit down and shut up, this is the only way it can be done" lessons from grade school.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Anyone else here not work from plans and drawings?-image.jpg
    I’m grateful for an opportunity to join this discussion. Mostly my plans are lists, lots of lists, of things I’d like to make. There’s always lots more. On lists from years ago were once cherished ambitions, now abandoned, mostly because they were too difficult. This is a typical entry in my notebook. There are many ideas from Pinterest. Often it’s hard to get back to sleep, planning the projects for the morning. I haven’t ever learned to read a carpenter’s square, but I’ve done hundreds of drawings. I noticed that my wife’s uncle, a German master-carpenter, used a square without markings, and that’s what I have generally done. With joinery, or cabinets, I always draw up a rod, or rods, on board, from which to mark out. Almost nothing I’ve posted on this forum started as more than a rough sketch.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

th62's Tools
    Hmmm, I don't even use rough sketches, except maybe for wiring harnesses, so many cables, so many colours hard to remember, t mostly I just sit down with a bunch of wires and sort it out as I go. This seems to be the only hobby forum where members don't use plans. When I say I don't use plans, I'm met with such derision. Whenever I post a tool I've made drill jig, ball turner, belt sander, et al, I always receive requests for plans.

Apparently, I have no idea what I'm doing or have no idea how to do anything 'properly'.
    Similarly, if I don't do things the way the 'experts' do them, the way they were taught, the way their teachers were taught and so on down the line, once again I have no idea.

So you'll be shocked to know, we are an odd lot

4. The Following User Says Thank You to th62 For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Aug 25, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by th62 View Post
    Hmmm, I don't even use rough sketches, except maybe for wiring harnesses, so many cables, so many colours hard to remember, t mostly I just sit down with a bunch of wires and sort it out as I go. This seems to be the only hobby forum where members don't use plans. When I say I don't use plans, I'm met with such derision. Whenever I post a tool I've made drill jig, ball turner, belt sander, et al, I always receive requests for plans.

Apparently, I have no idea what I'm doing or have no idea how to do anything 'properly'.
    Similarly, if I don't do things the way the 'experts' do them, the way they were taught, the way their teachers were taught and so on down the line, once again I have no idea.

So you'll be shocked to know, we are an odd lot
    There is not a thing wrong with the way you do things. If it works for you, it is good.

For ME, I have just learned over the years that I have to get out of bed to put the thoughts and ideas that are keeping me away down on paper. Then I can go back to sleep. Sometimes I wake up with the solution to a problem I had the previous day. If I do not at least sketch that idea, it may very well wither away before I get to implement it.

Recently I wear head phones when I mow to protect what is left of my hearing. I listen to music so I have my phone in "beer can" holder on the mower. Since mowing can get boring, my mind wanders a lot. Many times I stop to leave a note for myself in regard to an idea.

Also, to paraphrase "Dirty Harry" many of those "experts" you mention are only experts in their own minds!!

They make all of those different flavors of ice cream for a reason!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Aug 25, 2023)

Thanks

Mook's Tools
    An hour on the board saves a day in the workshop.

Thanks

th62's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mook View Post
    An hour on the board saves a day in the workshop.
    Or, an hour on the board is an hour less on the tools.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to th62 For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Oct 11, 2023)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by th62 View Post
    Or, an hour on the board is an hour less on the tools.
    Or, I can't even get to the board because it's piled high with crap.

Neil

Thanks

th62's Tools
    Not mine, I don't use one.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information