Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ashalim solar power station - photo

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    Yep. But they do provide an interesting option for waste disposal. Total disassociation of complex toxic molecules. But again an incinerator is a cheaper alternative. But not nearly as effective due to the thermal limits of gas burners. The concentrated solar has the opposite problem.

But easier to bury it right?
    I don't actually believe that PV solar is going to experience a recycling problem, at least for many decades. I mean I know why we're talking about it. Lifecycle management and environmental impact is a huge talking point with all current products. But I don't think the same rules apply to PV solar.

People are looking at panels and assuming end-of-life is going to be an issue because due to their construction they're difficult to recycle. The majority of PV panels don't actually die. They just degrade over decades (most are rated at 80% output at 20 years), and are obsoleted when compared against the output of newer more efficient panels. Similar to an "aged-out" EV battery that no longer has utility in a car can be used for many other uses like a power wall, "aged-out" solar PV panels have plenty of utility, particularly with respect to electrifying the third world. Look at what's happened to e-waste and plastic. If it's economical to fill thousands of shipping containers with plastic and e-waste that essentially has zero residual value, I'm certain we're going to see an whole industry pop up around bulk recovery of solar PV. Even if they sell them for pennies on the dollar there's still money to be made (where it would otherwise cost money to dispose of these panels). And we'll help electrify impoverished nations in the process, which will be a huge net benefit.

It just comes down to dollars and cents. You have 1000 panels that are no longer cost competitive against new panels. They still work, but your solar farm is on 20 acres of land and you can double your output if you invest in new panels. You can either pay money to have them recycled/disposed, or you can make a tiny amount of your investment back sending them to Bangladesh. Easy call, even if you don't care about Bangladesh.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by nova_robotics; Jan 16, 2022 at 11:57 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 16, 2022)

Thread Information