Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR

Thanks
    Update.... Still working on AutoGateOpener (that's gonna be the name and spelling). Going to meet a guy today who has two garage door openers. He says one works and the other doesn't. Said I could have them both. Neither has a remote, but I'm sure that will be easy to overcome. I don't know, but I think you can get a universal?? Anyone know? First things first.. Let me get my hands on the units and see what shape they are in, what kind they are etc...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Even though the place we live in now has GDO, I can't say I'm an expert. I believe you can buy replacement remotes and there possibly are universals, but this is not like a tv remote. It's supposed to be secure so you can't just use any remote with any door. I've read of crooks who have scanners that can wait for you to use your GDO and " capture " your code. Then wait for you to leave then can open the GDO with it. I'm not trying to scare you, just some FYI. All this time on this planet, many houses and garages and this is my first with a GDO.

Mine is a roll up door and the GDO is a screw drive. The motor is attached to long screw with a nut with an arm running in a track. All this stuff is made to be inside a garage, out of the weather. If it gets wet, corrosion or dirt on it,, it gums up the works and really bogs the motor down. If not properly set up and maintained I'm sure the whole thing will quit as it also has sensors that if it pulls to many amps it thinks there something in the way and either shuts down or reverses.

I hope for your sake the freebies are complete because there's eyes, stops, sensors and all kinds of hardware that if it's not there will be a pain to find and could possibly be expensive to replace.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    The good news is they are free. I doubt they have the sensors. Screw drive, now that I could possibly use the electric motors I have. Would have to use 2. I am about to lay out my cordage and see where I'm am at.

Thanks
    I have tried twice to post pics of gdo's I got..basically its just the motor and chain drive. They are Chamberlain 120v 6Amp 1/2 HP
    Model HD200DM. My first step is to download pdf ownersmaual and see what I have and don't have. I know I don't have the senors, but I can come up with something

Thanks
    ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR-img_4626.jpg
    ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR-img_4627.jpg
    ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR-img_4628.jpg
    ??AUTO GATE OPENER WITH ELECTRIC MOTOR-img_4629.jpg

Finally

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    hmm, interesting....I'm guessing the red white and blue connectors are to power the eyes? Personally I would like chain drive better because it would seem more weather proof than screw drive. But that's just a peanut gallery opinion.

Thanks
    I really don't have a lot to say except there are some very talented members on this site. Well done, love it.

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Just some ideas that you might like. Don‘t even consider running a long extension lead, it is dangerous and will give you trouble. A small 12v ATV or even smaller gel cell is all you need. Add a small solar trickle charger and you should have plenty of power. Some use windscreen wiper motors and some use the battery to release the latch only (no motor). Gate is hinged so that it naturally swings open when unlatched or can have a sliding weight that when unlatched opens the gate. Doesn't close gate but only having to get out of vehicle to close the gate is a plus. Have seen a system that uses a "pager" to release the latch and allow gate to open. If there is cell phone/pager coverage you can use this system to open gates to allow stock into fresh paddocks that may be many miles away. Some also have the pager turn on a flashing light/Bell so that shock are alerted to the gate opening and shift themselves. Other systems use weights and water. The falling weight in a cylinder pumps water to a ram to close the gate, with suitable delays of course. Simple is better. I once overheard two old farmers who were viewing a display of such gadgets say, "Can you believe it, some of these young guys are so lazy they cant even open a gate".

Thanks
    Sounds good, thanks for the info. BTW you can buy replacement GDOs at many Hardware stores. They have adjustable DIP switches you can reset to match your motor.

Thanks
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I've done extension cords almost that far before, but I understand. Will have to look at the cost of your solar suggestion. I'm a risk/reward kinda guy. Really I just take a heck of a lot of risk and so far (knock on all the times "wood" is mentioned on this forum) I have been rewarded. But I am aware the law of averages will catch up with me one day. I may choose to spend the entire day tomorrow researching and a little testing on this build (right after I deal with cell phone problems) . Because I will build it and the New Members will come. lol

Thread Information