Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bamboo scaffolding in Hong Kong - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

Bamboo scaffolding in Hong Kong - GIF

Bamboo scaffolding in Hong Kong.

Previously: SaverTooth scaffold clamp

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Jan 23, 2021), JRock (Apr 15, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Apr 14, 2018), Moby Duck (Apr 14, 2018), PJs (Apr 15, 2018), Seedtick (Apr 15, 2018), that_other_guy (Aug 7, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Much as I love grousing about OSHA, California warning labels, ridiculous tort judgments, and the Nanny State, in general, I watch something like this and can see what started that ball rolling.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N00b Machinist For This Useful Post:

Big Rick (Apr 15, 2018), cognitdiss (Jan 19, 2023)

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Generally this stuff works well and there are very few injuries, but occasionally through miscalculation or low grade/damaged materials, one will concertina downwards. Surprisingly it is not the fall that kills most of the workers, it is the shards/spears of split bamboo that do the most damage. It was quite common to see newspaper reports and pictures of the piles of splintered bamboo at the bottom.
    I once worked next to a high rise building being built with bamboo scaffolding. When it was structurally finished they found that it was 4 inches too close to the boundary line on one side, and they then employed an army of workers to chip 4 inches of concrete off the whole side of the building, using hammers and chisels. I hate to think what that might have done to the buildings structural integrity, and this was in one of Asia's most prosperous small countries, not China or Hong Kong.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moby Duck For This Useful Post:

Big Rick (Apr 15, 2018), PJs (Apr 15, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Scaffolding has always been and always will be the construction site safety engineers worst nightmare. For low height structure 6 stories of less there usually is not much that they need to concern themselves with as long as the vertical members are not damaged before erections are started. The materials of choice may be at times nothing more than 2x4 lumber screwed together, Bamboo is much better suited for the task. Aluminum poles are often used, 6 ft high sections of fabricated frames are the main choice by many. 20 ft or 6 meter pipes clamped together scaffolding are rarely used for these low height structures. When a structure reaches the 15 story mark is where sometimes the whole scaffolding assembly becomes questionable for many of the selected vertical members Lumber scaffolding's are almost never used by this time sectional scaffolding require not only horizontal ties to the building structure but require additional securement at each additional story added which transfers and shares the vertical loading to the building.
    By the time a building reaches the 40 or 50+ mark virtually all additional vertical loading needs to be carried by the building structure.BY then a single attachment failure can result in collapse of the scaffolding. Bamboo poles are as strong as steel in many cases when fresh but will deteriorate at an exponential rate of decay the older it becomes.The use of previously used bamboo in tall structures is frowned upon by most safety engineers for any building which is going to require it to be un use on a site for any length of time.
    I used to cringed every-time I had to visit a site with scaffolding that I thought would needed to be relegated to the scrap heap. Many times I would tell the head civil engineer on site that I refused to allow my personnel to begin installing our equipment or machines in the building if they wold be required to work anywhere near or even pass through or under the installed scaffolding without a crush proof tunnel to the entrance being installed.
    Last edited by Frank S; Apr 15, 2018 at 10:28 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Moby Duck (Apr 16, 2018), that_other_guy (Aug 7, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A basket weave scaffolding structure, now that is a first for me. kind of ingenious way of erecting a scaffold but such an open weave may be unstable in windy conditions Maybe not since the directional flow of the wind is not being blocked by a solid cylinder it is being diverted around dozens of spirally weaved individual smaller cylinders laminar flow is being diverted in an upwardly direction while at the same time creating 1000's of micro vortices or turbulence
    Still I wouldn't be climbing to the top of it in high winds,
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Is that a scaffold or Wat ?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information