Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Behemoth Baileigh Bench

Thanks

Machine_Punk's Tools

Behemoth Baileigh Bench

I recently purchased a Baileigh SBR 5216 Shear/Brake/Roll 3-in-1 machine for my artistic metalworking studio, The Aerodrome Studio. This thing is a monster, weighing in at 1200 pounds, and deserves a behemoth of a bench to support it. While I have been trained in TIG welding, I did not have any welding equipment at my studio at the time I received this piece of equipment, so I decided to make it out of wood.

I generally believe that if something is worth designing, it is worth over designing. I also didn't want ANY chance of this machine coming crashing down on me. I chose 2X8 & 2X10 lumber for this design. I do plan to build a different bench for this machine some day, but needed something for now.

When the 3-in-1 has it's own custom bench some day, this will become an assembly table, so I made it larger than absolutely necessary and mounted my new (to me) Wilton vise on the end of the bench. I specifically designed the legs to give me room to attach the vise bolts easily. Of course, I mounted the vise with my second-favorite fastener, the socket head cap screw. I moved the benchtop support braces closer to the center of the bench, to allow nearly 6 inches of depth at the front and back for clamping objects to the bench.

While I didn't envision myself moving this bench frequently, I did want to be able to move it around the studio, as needs changed. I installed the leg cross braces at exactly the correct height to use my 12-ton, air-over-hydraulic bottle jack to lift this bench and weighty machine onto wheel dollies, so I can move the bench when needed, but not have stability problems, once the bench is in place.

With the amount of weight this bench holds, I chose all through-bolt construction (bolts, not lag screws). Where the distance was too far for common bolts lengths, I cut threaded rod and used nuts on both ends. The cross brace in the back is installed with lag screws, but there are a barrel of them and they go deeply into the legs. In use, I this bench is rock solid...

The bench in its final location in The Aerodrome Studio, with the Baileigh 5216 installed...

Kev

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Machine_Punk; Jan 2, 2013 at 01:27 AM.
    Kev / Machine_Punk works out of The Aerodrome Studio, where he builds projects inspired by aeroplanes

blog: http://TheAerodromeStudio.com/wordpress
    current project: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=122188

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Machine_Punk For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 2, 2013), kbalch (Jan 2, 2013)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,795 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Thanks again Machine_Punk! This one went in the following categories: Storage and Organization, Vises, and Woodworking, and of course on your homemade tools page: Machine_Punk's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information