Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Better Grip On Clamp

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    For me hammer diameter is a big issue. I particularly like the larger diameter handles.
    When I replace hammer handles I always buy a handle for the larger hammers then sand them down to fit the eye of the hammer head.I buy screwdrivers and similar handled tools with the most aggressive feeling handles.
    When it comes to wrenches the only reason I will buy Snap-on combination wrenches at a pawn shop or similar place is because I can heat them and bend them into special tools I prefer the rough unfinished look feel and size of tools like Craftsmen.
    the 550 cord is only 4 mm in diameter which adds 8mm to the diameter or about 5/16"
    I can see though where using a 14,16, 18 ga or even as small as 20 ga insulated electrical wire in some instances would have advantages over the 550.
    Cordage is horrible around oils, grease and solvents as it readily absorbs all of these into the fibers making the handles impossible to clean. Also it is equally bad around swarf. The few handles I have had that I put cordage on in the past made better swarf magnets than any rare earth ever invented

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Back when I used to do a lot of fishing I wrapped all of my poles with 60lb test braided fishing line

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    I can see your point about cordage and grease and oils. I don't think that would be good for a metal working tool. But in my case, the clamps were for wood work so cordage would be OK.

Electric wire comes with a variety of insulation materials which have different mechanical and chemical properties. I haven't completely thought it out, but I think the wire wrap would be OK in a metal working environment. I do both wood and metal in my shop, but I doubt that these clamps will ever be out of their storage box while I do metal work.

O-rings are commonly used for making nice grips. I have seen grips on photographic equipment made with them and I have used them in a number of places. In this case I was inspired by O-rings, but I did not have enough of them in the proper size(s) for these two clamp handles. When I saw my bin of electrical wire I saw them as O-ring substitutes.

I have used them several times by now and I am completely satisfied with them. They have made the use of the clamps a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    For me hammer diameter is a big issue. I particularly like the larger diameter handles.
    When I replace hammer handles I always buy a handle for the larger hammers then sand them down to fit the eye of the hammer head.I buy screwdrivers and similar handled tools with the most aggressive feeling handles.
    When it comes to wrenches the only reason I will buy Snap-on combination wrenches at a pawn shop or similar place is because I can heat them and bend them into special tools I prefer the rough unfinished look feel and size of tools like Craftsmen.
    the 550 cord is only 4 mm in diameter which adds 8mm to the diameter or about 5/16"
    I can see though where using a 14,16, 18 ga or even as small as 20 ga insulated electrical wire in some instances would have advantages over the 550.
    Cordage is horrible around oils, grease and solvents as it readily absorbs all of these into the fibers making the handles impossible to clean. Also it is equally bad around swarf. The few handles I have had that I put cordage on in the past made better swarf magnets than any rare earth ever invented

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Paul A.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Jul 31, 2018), PJs (Aug 1, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jul 31, 2018)

Thread Information