Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Blackgates V twin oscillating engine

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine

Hi All

Been up against it trying to get this little engine finished for my sons 21st birthday present on the 26th March as I only started it a couple of weeks ago.

But it is almost there with just a few things to do/make: gaskets, cylinder bore porting, unions and plumbing, wooden mounting base and painting.

I have ordered the 8BA screws and waiting for them to arrive and need to find two compression springs. I am also going to add a reversing valve.

Here are a few photos of the engine

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-img_6298-v-twin1.jpg
    Engine has since had input, exhaust ports and the cross port plug holes tapped.

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-img_6299-v-twin2.jpg Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-img_6300-v-twin-3.jpg

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

bruce.desertrat (Mar 24, 2021), DIYSwede (Mar 24, 2021), EnginePaul (Mar 28, 2021), kngtek (Mar 24, 2021), KustomsbyKent (Mar 24, 2021), sacco1 (Mar 24, 2021), sossol (Mar 24, 2021)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    So the cylinder covers don't cover the steam passageways to the bore the following setup was used to machine a groove to overcome this.

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-v-twin-7.jpgjig and associated bits to set the cylinder at the required angle for machining.

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-v-twin-5.jpgsetting the cylinder block with a square

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-v-twin-9.jpgsetup held in machine vice and a vice stop used for repeatability.

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-v-twin-8.jpgone completed groove (three more to cut)

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-v-twin-6.jpgcompleted cylinders ready for gaskets and covers.

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Unfortunately didn't get it ready for my sons birthday which is disappointing. But assembled the parts so the crank could turn over by hand. To complete the engine is cylinder gaskets, plumbing, mounting board and painting. The photos below show the engine as given to my son this morning (26/03/2021)

Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-assembly-1.jpg Blackgates V twin oscillating engine-assembly-2.jpg

The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information