Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Blast cabinet door latch

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Blast cabinet door latch

Hi All
    I had to replace the locking latch on my blast cabinet door again!

The previous one was so badly worn it just kept falling apart and when you could get it to work it had to be in a certain position to hold the door closed so it wouldn’t fall apart. A real pain in the ….. This time it was just a bit sloppy and didn’t create a good seal around the door seal.

The new latch was made from sheet metal and round stock as before. Which was simply folded in to two channels so one would fit inside the other and then cut and shaped. The hinge pin was a simple turning job. The latch was bent around a piece of flat stock with radius filled on the corners to aid bending of the round stock. Once complete it was held in position and the holding bolt holes transferred and drilled. A coat of spray paint and the job was finished. I don’t know why I put off doing this job. The door closes first time every time now.

From the photos it is clear to see why this part wears as it gets covered in the abrasive medium as can be seen by the paint already being removed. This latch is just over a week old and already showing signs on wear. The cabinet does get a lot of use and has had a new perforated internal shelf

Blast cabinet door latch-1b0e55ce-de6d-4e67-873e-59d4366381b2.jpegNew latch locking door
    Blast cabinet door latch-81b7b876-fdfb-40b6-8058-ed93f4c9cb50.jpegLatch in the released position as can be seen paint is already being removed through operation of the latch.
    Blast cabinet door latch-552ad3d4-9e07-43c9-a04c-70530f73799d.jpegPhoto shows machine screws holding latch to cabinet.

I will be looking around the workshop for other annoying things that get on my nerves every time I go to use it. This was one of those jobs I should have done a longtime ago before it totally gave up, which would have saved a lot of swearing every time I went to use it. The cabinet is a pleasure to use again rather than a frustrating piece of kit.

This is the second one I have made maybe I should have made a spare.
    many thanks again
    The Home Engineer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Blast cabinet door latch-cae217ad-ee75-45d4-bbf6-5bd7ca674bfc.jpeg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by thehomeengineer; Dec 21, 2021 at 07:57 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 21, 2021), Jon (Dec 22, 2021), nova_robotics (Dec 22, 2021), rlm98253 (Dec 24, 2021), sossol (Dec 22, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Dec 23, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Blast Door Latch to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    well, after too many years in the world of chemistry.... a "blast cabinet" means something completely different than I gather is meant here.
    Is "blast cabinet" a short form of sandblaster cabinet?
    Doug

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 406 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Doug
    my terminology might be incorrect. I think it is just away of shortening shot/sand blast cabinet. Again I have never used sand as a blast medium. So I am know totally confused .
    But to try and answer your question it is a cabinet which uses a air supply and a medium to peen the component surface to give a uniform surface finish (in my case) However Shot peening is also used to improve surface hardness. An example of an industry that uses this technology is Formula 1

If I have got anything wrong in this post please correct my understanding
    Thank you again Doug

Thanks
    No worries and thanks for taking my question/comment the way it was intended.
    I am most certainly not the one to know what the abbreviations are in this field.
    That being said, I did a palm plant when I did a google search… and realized.. “I think he’s talking about a sand blasting cabinet!”

Sort of a Homer Simpson “doh” moment.

Thanks again for your response.
    Stay safe!

Doug

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitrous For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 13, 2022)

Thread Information