Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BoarBuster feral hog trap - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

BoarBuster feral hog trap - video

BoarBuster feral hog trap. Live streams to the net.

More: BoarBuster

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 15, 2018), dubbby (Jun 13, 2020), Marine2171 (Aug 18, 2018), NortonDommi (Aug 19, 2018), oldcaptainrusty (Aug 14, 2018), PJs (Aug 15, 2018), saintrain (Aug 15, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Jun 23, 2019), Seedtick (Aug 14, 2018), that_other_guy (Oct 31, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Aug 15, 2018), will52100 (Aug 14, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I like it. Watch them jump and search for escape. I want one. Around my front door. Next Halloween.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Marine2171 (Aug 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Interesting. Any insights why the gate falls spiral?
    Two guesses: harder to get past if it falls on an animal, or harder to lift from the inside.

Fence rules: horse high, bull strong, hog tight.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I can see several advantages of the spiral fall. 1 as was pointed out the semi lateral movement if it struck an animal as it fell would have a tendency to roll the animal off its feet possibly temporarily confusing the animal this would in turn trigger their natural instincts to to try and back up rather than continue pushing forward. Making it cylindrical and at the same time a spiral fall negates any corners where the animals can gain purchase to root under easily, while at the same time simplifies the trigger mechanism A cable in a loop would only require a single solenoid to release all support latches, also the spiral guides could be single sided Allowing gravity to create the motion preventing a guide from possibly hanging up as opposed to a vertical fall where the guided would need to be 2 sided requiring a more precise erection at time of assembly.
    Adding a motion sensed game cam and remote trigger connected to the internet that can be activated from an app on a phone laptop or other device shows that technology has advanced beyond what could have only been dreamed about a few years ago.
    All in all the only flaw in it I can see is I don't have one Just think of all that free bacon, ham and sausage I could have.

Edit note I did notice one other thing they did the guides are double this would make it next to impossible for the hogs to lift the trap to escape brilliant design. http://boarbuster.com/
    Last edited by Frank S; Aug 16, 2018 at 12:47 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Well I was close the system is even simpler that I thought. As I thought it only required a single release solenoid, but due to the spiral design it only requires a single point to lift the trap and a single latch to hold it in place
    The inner fence ring sets the parameters for assembly and the 3 legs to suspend everything. there is a great set of videos at BoarBuster in the gallery tab

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

saintrain (Aug 16, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanks. I missed the instruction manual on that site on the first visit. I wish all manuals were that detailed.
    The ramps are used to raise both upper and lower gates, in a two-step process; they're "screwed" up with a single winch.
    Very clever! But at $6000 a pop ($8000 for color) I'm glad I don't have that problem.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The thing to do if someone has a feral hog problem in their area is to not go at this alone. get with the other farmers and ranchers in the county. A device like this could be bought through a co-op then shared around the county. Or probably even better since it would be hard to justify the expense of purchasing one of these on a 1 time or possibly even a 2 or 3 time use would be to contact the manufacture and ask if they would provide you with information of someone who does this professionally.
    I have noticed a couple of game trails on my property that show evidence of hog tracks once in a while. I've never found any heavily rooted areas or even seen a hog on the property, but I know there are several in the county since we have an annual organized hog hunt in November each year. Just a few counties away they harvest a few dozen and sometimes as many as a 100 each year, but the hog population is nowhere near what it has become in other regions around the State or the country.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Found the patent. The first-listed inventor, Joshua Gaskamp (the guy in the video), has multiple related patent applications, but I believe this is the big one: US Patent #9,237,743.

Per Frank S's comments, it looks like they previously played around with a square or rectangular design before deciding on the circular trap with the spiral trap raising/lowering mechanism.

This thing looks fun to use! I guess you get a notification on your cellphone, then you watch the video footage, waiting for the entire sounder to enter, then you remotely trigger the trap.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The conversation around the table lulls at the outdoor sports themed restaurant while waiting for their orders of chicken or hamburgers to be prepared. the patrons are watching the latest preppy survivalist reality show when suddenly the screen switches to show a circular shaped trap suspended above a sounder of hogs. It happens to be a high end video with vivid high resolution and there is even sound. The hogs are foraging around near the center of the trap eating something on the ground when suddenly the trap is released then spins to the ground trapping fifteen to twenty five nice healthy looking hogs. About ten seconds after the trap captures the hogs the owner of the restautant comes out and asks if anyone would like to change their orders to roast pig

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Marine2171 (Aug 18, 2018)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Watched the sad video. Read a bunch of the comments. Sadder even than the video. Not interested in visiting there, ever.

Thread Information