I've never built a boat, but launching BoatBuilds.net has really stoked the boatbuildin' fire within me. My thought is that I would start with something really simple and small. It doesn't hurt that this exact kind of boat is called a "Jon Boat"; they even spelled my name correctly.

This is a great example of a homebuilt, inexpensive, simple Jon Boat, built by Tom N. on Tripod.com. It includes a swivel seat on a plywood base, and some basic fishing rod holders. It weighs about 100 pounds, and fits in the back of a pickup truck. The builder added some fold-up wheels that attach to the rear transom, to make launching easier. For garage storage, he tips the boat up on a creeper so it takes up minimal space in his garage.

Total cost: $335

Jon Boat by Tom N. on Tripod.com

BoatBuilds.net: Jon Boat build by Tom N.-jonboat1.jpgBoatBuilds.net: Jon Boat build by Tom N.-jonboat2.jpgBoatBuilds.net: Jon Boat build by Tom N.-jonboat3.jpgBoatBuilds.net: Jon Boat build by Tom N.-jonboat4.jpgBoatBuilds.net: Jon Boat build by Tom N.-jonboat6.jpgBoatBuilds.net: Jon Boat build by Tom N.-jonboat7.jpgBoatBuilds.net: Jon Boat build by Tom N.-jonboat8.jpg

Jon Boat by Tom N. on Tripod.com

See more boat builds on BoatBuilds.net...