Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Boeing 737 air stairs - GIF

  1. #1
    Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,645
    Thanks
    1,127
    Thanked 21,502 Times in 6,947 Posts

    Boeing 737 air stairs - GIF


    2000 Tool Plans

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

    Miloslav (Apr 13, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Apr 13, 2022), nova_robotics (Apr 13, 2022), Rangi (Apr 29, 2022)

  3. #2
    Supporting Member Karl_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    670
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked 380 Times in 201 Posts

    Karl_H's Tools
    Never been to that small of an airport that would require steps.

    186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

  4. #3
    Supporting Member Duke_of_URL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    298
    Thanks
    425
    Thanked 107 Times in 78 Posts
    "Air Stairs" are expensive "options" usually exercised by ultra-wealthy, aka "Very Very Important Person" (VVIP) owners of Boeing Business Jets (BBJ) and Airbus Corporate Jets (ACJ). Flight Managers would rather not coordinate with airport management to bring mobile stair-trucks out to the aircraft, so it affords the crew flexibility to drop the principal off wherever they can park and have the limo door open once the stairs are down. One thing I learned working on aircraft of billionaires over many years is that their time is their most precious commodity in life. They never waste a second and employ "minders" to prevent them from doing so.

  5. #4
    Supporting Member metric_taper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Marion, Iowa
    Posts
    528
    Thanks
    181
    Thanked 227 Times in 138 Posts

    metric_taper's Tools
    I was hoping to see the pressure door that would close off the stairway channel opening. That's not a simple thing to add to an aircraft pressure vessel, and I was not aware that Boeing had that as an option.

  6. #5
    Supporting Member Floradawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Flora, MS
    Posts
    569
    Thanks
    486
    Thanked 121 Times in 91 Posts

    Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    Never been to that small of an airport that would require steps.
    I have. They rolled the stairs up to the plane. I can't remember where it was.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

  7. #6
    Supporting Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    I have.
    They rolled the stairs up to the plane. I can't remember where it was.

    The first time I came to Maui (Nov 29 '88), they rolled steps up to the plane at Kahului airport (OGG). I felt that warm humid tropical air, took a deep breath and said, "I'm home!"
    Baggage claim was a long bench with a triangular longitudinal divider ramp. Baggage handlers drove up on the other side pulling a train of flat carts piled high with luggage, tossed it over none too gently (as is traditional). Nearly missed our connecting flight to Hana because we had no idea we were meant to be waiting in the commuter-flight terminal. I was on crutches at the time (long story having to do with my mother forbidding me having a motorcycle until I turned 18, then going to Mexico for 6 weeks...) so we ended up barely making it onto the little puddle-jumper to Hana airport, which closed up shop immediately after we landed: I mean, doors locked, shutters shutted, every employee vanishing like a magic trick. My brother and I stood there, sort of turning in circles, going 'Wait...but...where...?' Numerous calls on a pay phone ('member those?) to the guy who was supposed to meet us to drive us the 12 miles out to our final destination in Kipahulu (no electricity out there...) went unanswered, so we shrugged, picked up a fallen coconut, knocked a papaya out of a tree with a crutch, feasted on those (thank God for pre-TSA Swiss Army Knives!) and spent the night on a pair of luggage carts, swaddled in my brother's sleeping bag and blanket, battling mosquitos and listening to the barking geckos. There's MUCH more to that story, but I gotta go to Easter Brunch with a bunch of magicians...and that's another story altogether!

    BTW, still here on Maui, 33+ years later...

    Thank you for reading my travel blog...remember to like and subscribe!😏
    Last edited by daniel82; Apr 17, 2022 at 02:17 PM.

  8. #7
    Supporting Member odd one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    270
    Thanked 82 Times in 57 Posts
    The airport in Puerto Vallarta still have stairs for many flights. I kinda like it. Reminds me of when they barely had an airport.

  9. #8
    Supporting Member Floradawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Flora, MS
    Posts
    569
    Thanks
    486
    Thanked 121 Times in 91 Posts

    Floradawg's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel82 View Post
    The first time I came to Maui (Nov 29 '88), they rolled steps up to the plane at Kahului airport (OGG). I felt that warm humid tropical air, took a deep breath and said, "I'm home!"
    Baggage claim was a long bench with a triangular longitudinal divider ramp. Baggage handlers drove up on the other side pulling a train of flat carts piled high with luggage, tossed it over none too gently (as is traditional). Nearly missed our connecting flight to Hana because we had no idea we were meant to be waiting in the commuter-flight terminal. I was on crutches at the time (long story having to do with my mother forbidding me having a motorcycle until I turned 18, then going to Mexico for 6 weeks...) so we ended up barely making it onto the little puddle-jumper to Hana airport, which closed up shop immediately after we landed: I mean, doors locked, shutters shutted, every employee vanishing like a magic trick. My brother and I stood there, sort of turning in circles, going 'Wait...but...where...?' Numerous calls on a pay phone ('member those?) to the guy who was supposed to meet us to drive us the 12 miles out to our final destination in Kipahulu (no electricity out there...) went unanswered, so we shrugged, picked up a fallen coconut, knocked a papaya out of a tree with a crutch, feasted on those (thank God for pre-TSA Swiss Army Knives!) and spent the night on a pair of luggage carts, swaddled in my brother's sleeping bag and blanket, battling mosquitos and listening to the barking geckos. There's MUCH more to that story, but I gotta go to Easter Brunch with a bunch of magicians...and that's another story altogether!

    BTW, still here on Maui, 33+ years later...

    Thank you for reading my travel blog...remember to like and subscribe!��
    When you get bit by a mosquito over there it only itches a little and quits itching totally before long.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

  10. #9
    Supporting Member NeiljohnUK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    478
    Thanks
    51
    Thanked 188 Times in 129 Posts

    NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Floradawg View Post
    I have. They rolled the stairs up to the plane. I can't remember where it was.
    Naples Italy is mainly bus and steps loading/unloading, with only 3 'air-bridges' the last time I visited, might have 4 now.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    2,241
    Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Well that bought back memories of working the line at the end of the 60's. Early models of the B737 had these stairs.
    Thanks for the memories.



    186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •