Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: BRAZING ALUMINUM

Supporting Member
    Thanks

mariost's Tools

BRAZING ALUMINUM

We can weld small pieces of aluminum in low temperature a little less than 660 deg Celcium. First I clean the surfaces with an iron inox brush. I use wire from tig welding machine. I heat the surfaces with propane gas (map gas is ok) . To know if the welding temperature is ok i rub slowly the wire to the surface.When it (the wire) begins to melt i heat alittle more.The best weld is when the surface on the welding area begins to melt too.It' s the best moment for the materials to mix. We are between the brazzing and the welding procedure. Be carefull if the two pieces are thin to not destroy them. The aluminum doesn't inform us when it is ready to braze because it does't change colour like copper for example. Ttat's why we rub from time to time the wire on the piece just to understand whitch is the right time to braze. To weld better, when the materials begin to melt we run continiously the melt area with a steel wire to put the oxidation of the aluminum away to the external surface far from the welding area. (we haven' t argon gas to put the oxygen away).If we want to weld bigger pieces and more strongly , the tig welding machine is one way road. You can see this procedure here in thiw video.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BRAZING  ALUMINUM-21-.jpg   BRAZING  ALUMINUM-22-.jpg   BRAZING  ALUMINUM-23-.jpg   BRAZING  ALUMINUM-24-.jpg   BRAZING  ALUMINUM-25-.jpg  

BRAZING  ALUMINUM-26-.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariost For This Useful Post:

Altair (Mar 2, 2019), neilbourjaily (Mar 4, 2019), Sprig1 (Mar 7, 2019)

Thread Information