Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Building a large truck fuel tank - video

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,847 Times in 11,339 Posts

Building a large truck fuel tank - video

Building a large truck fuel tank. 28:44 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Apr 28, 2022), Rangi (Apr 30, 2022), Skun Knuckles (Apr 30, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    It's interesting they use arc welding. I would have figured an operation like this would be using mig. Way higher production, less cleanup.

They let everything fall directly into the tank, and there was no attempt made to clean the inside of that thing out. The amount of slag and BBs rolling around in there must be crazy. I hope whatever vehicle that's installed on has a good fuel filter.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    you know, i think the people that made that fuel tank changed careers and went on to make this web page template.

Thanks
    those sunglasses....
    and it's interesting how it seems like every single one of their sticks is bent.
    nice drag technique though.
    and what's really impressive, both for better and for worse, is a complete absence of grinders.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I did some work with a mission in Haiti about 20 years ago. Guys down there were welding with nothing on their eyes. Every time I saw them start do do that, I would jerk the cable out of the welder and toss the face shield up to them. They were starting to get pissed off at me. I was finally able to get the interpreter to explain they would go blind if they continued to do it, and it does not take very long. As we talked with the interpreter, it became apparent many of them had friends or family who had done welding and were blind of nearly so. They did not put those two things together.

What really convinced them is when the supervisor over as we were talking to see why they were not working. I told him to show them how to weld without the mask. He would not do it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Apr 29, 2022)

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    I suppose they use arc welders because they don’t need shielding gas, which is expensive and blows away in the wind, plus the welding leads can be as long as they need within reason.
    Modern processes aren’t viable in some situations when it all comes down to practicality and cost.
    I was told many years ago “Do what you have to do to get the job done.”
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    When I went to Pakistan to recruit guys to come work for me In Kuwait, guys like the ones in this video were the ones I sought out. They know how to work, were not afraid of a little hard work. and they could do more with less than you can imagine.
    Don't let those sunglasses fool you they are about a shade 7 or 8 more than dark enough for persons with black pupiled eyes welding with 2.5to 3.5 mm 6013 rods at around 75 to 105 amps. But you will see a lot of guys weld without glasses for short periods of time.
    Most of the trucks that will have that type of fuel tank will be top draw the supply tube will not extend all the way to the bottom of the tank

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information