Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Bullet Puller

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Bullet Puller

Yes I know, I should have bought a kinetic bullet puller a long time ago, but to be quite frank I only ever needed one once before in my 40 years of hunting and that was because I got a whole lot of mixed bullets from a friend of a friend of a friend, so basically only wanted the brass and for that I borrowed the friends kinetic puller.

So during the LockDown I decided to reload this season's bullets. All went well till wifie called me for breakfast, gone was my routine. when I got back I pushed a bullet into an empty shell Bullet Puller-1.jpg

So the bullet had to come out because I only have 20 x 162G bullets left and that is usually a season's shooting for me.

So a quick search on the internet did not prove very helpful. The plans there was was definitely going to destroy the bullet or the brass if not both.

Plan 1 - Small nylon block drilled to 7mm (had to mention this earlier, Caliber is 7 x 57) and then split in half with a small metal saw and then 2 x 5mm scrws with nuts and washers to clamp the whole lot together.
    Bullet Puller-2.jpg

Then push the press up and hook the shell holder to the case and gently pull down.

Bullet Puller-3.jpg and it does not work...Bullet Puller-4.jpg

I do not just show all the times things work out..

But I am not one for giving up, Drill out the one side so the brass can go into the nylon block and the clamping force of the bolts can be more in line with the full diameter of the bullet.
    Bullet Puller-5.jpg Bullet Puller-6.jpg and again it slips out.

Second nylon block...6.5mm hole, recess to allow brass into block, Do not cut all the way through, leave the clearance part for the brass in tact.

Bullet Puller-9.jpg then add 2 pieces of 25 x 25 x 3 angle iron and with 4 hands clamp the whole lot together.

Bullet Puller-10.jpg and this time it works Bullet Puller-11.jpg

Bullet Puller-12.jpg Mic'ed up the bullet in 4 planes and no distortion after the clamping, ready to be used again, brass is perfect.

Anybody with any concerns about what I have done? If not I will add some 6mm bolt and nuts to the angle iron and make it a bit more user friendly not that I am planning on using this tooooo often

Keep healthy

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by garage nut; Apr 15, 2020 at 06:37 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 16, 2020), Jon (Apr 17, 2020), Quinton 357 (Apr 16, 2020), Scotty12 (Apr 15, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 15, 2020), Tuomas (Apr 15, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Bullet Puller to our Firearm and Weaponry category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information