Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: But wait, more of.....never mind, you know the drill; box truck, saga, yaddy-yah

Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools

But wait, more of.....never mind, you know the drill; box truck, saga, yaddy-yah

What would thieves do with $330 worth of 12v vehicle batteries?
    Well, I don't want to find out.

My lot isn't fenced yet, partially due to infrequent large trucks arriving. A lot of asking people and google hasn't generated how to accommodate traffic according to a certain arrangement of streets. That makes a secure perimeter an ongoing issue.
    So, batteries got the most recent attention.
    The stock tray is under the cab, drivers side. The cover has a rubber hood clamp, where top step meets frame of first step an imposing 1/4-20 stud and nut; that's ll that stood between their couple bottles and my wallet.
    I combined two 1/2" cable clamps, a couple feet of 3/8" chain, four bits of C-channel, two bits of 3/16" square tubing, various hex and carriage bolts, and a helping of crude Yankee ingenuity.

The dog's eye view shows added parts.
    Lower front and back have slots that slide over a stub of round stock, that with the rubber hood clamp kept it from lifting or sliding out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battery_box_ 1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	386.6 KB 
ID:	44238
    Another shot details added material around those slots. Old slots wallered out, nearly round. Added material, not much security, but tightened up what was looseness creating a rattle.

Name:	battery_box_2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	359.1 KB 
ID:	44237
    Here, the chain is threaded over the top, secured at one end, bolted into a cable clamp. It would take a lot of cutting to get at it; time consuming and noise making. Not favorite atmosphere of a thief.

Name:	battery_box_4.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	44239
    Here's the business end, both a large lock and last link tied to cable clamp. A little more room to work, twice the material to penetrate.

Name:	battery_box_3.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	44240

While the inboard side is open, that window is smaller than battery upright or laid down. Not to mention a nest of 1/0 and 2/0 stranded copper, another favorite target, out of reach.
    --------------------------
    Next I figure how to straighten tubing used to shelve cargo area, it's heavier than EMT but not quite pipe, seems about like 'rigid electrical tubing'. At 8' long, a 30" wide air over hydraulic press isn't the combination. Straightening is best done on a bed of at least .75% long as object being worked, with 'furniture' at least 1.5x height of bends getting attention. I bid once on a straightening press. Even had I won, 1700 miles from where I need it.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Nov 23, 2022 at 10:51 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information