Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Can Anyone Help Me With Some Wiring Advice?

Thanks

Can Anyone Help Me With Some Wiring Advice?

Short story, I picked up a very neat little 3phase 110v electric motor. The motor is from WWII and came in an amazingly well packaged bag inside what can only be described as a bullet proof box.

I was thinking I could use this to power an electric sander system for sharpening knives. But I am a bit leery about how to hook electricity to this compact motor. I have included some pictures of the scary parts. Please feel to point fingers, make fun of me and get me banned for my stupidity.

I have looked up how to hook the motor up online, but the ways I have seen I am not 100% sold on. anyway, Behold Pictures!

Can Anyone Help Me With Some Wiring Advice?-motor-1.jpgCan Anyone Help Me With Some Wiring Advice?-motor-2.jpg[Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor 1.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	35893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor 2.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	333.5 KB 
ID:	35894Can Anyone Help Me With Some Wiring Advice?-motor-4.jpgATTACH=CONFIG]35895[/ATTACH]Can Anyone Help Me With Some Wiring Advice?-motor-3a.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by blkadder; Jul 22, 2020 at 08:17 PM.
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Thanks
    Ron,

That is one interesting (read unusual) motor.

My approach would be to wire it 120V single phase (household) and add a capacitor to create the third leg.
    Andy Reynolds shows how he does this in some detail here.

This will give you fixed RPMs based on power line frequency of 60Hz. The terminal jumpers are already in the correct position for this, shown as the 115V diagram. This approach will result in a loss of power as the motor is not getting true three phase, but could still be useful in light duty applications.

If variable speed is more your thing, there are some, however unusual, 110V three phase VFDs. This method would be more involved in terms of wiring, programming, protecting VFD and yourself etc.

I guess one has to get the power supply in order before any wiring can take place.

Dan

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanCom For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Aug 12, 2020), thoms_here (Oct 13, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    If you do not have 3 phase power. I would suggest you get a VFD, if only to learn how useful there are. Type "120 volt single to 3 phase VFD" into your search engine. You will see they are around $125.00

When I got my lathe, it came with a nice 3 phase motor. I was searching for a single phase when someone suggested I investigate VFD. I am SO glad they did. It was a lot less expensive that the correct size motor AND; you can change speeds, direction of rotation, start normally or slow and ramp up to any desired speed, or stop slow or almost instantly. There are some settings you need to make IF you want all of these extra features. But if you want to just run the motor, turn it on and off, you just hook it up and press start/stop.

It is recommended that you put a circuit breaker on the output side of the VFD to avoid damage it if you overload it.

Just my point of view.
    Last edited by hemmjo; Jul 25, 2020 at 04:26 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Aug 12, 2020), thoms_here (Oct 13, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanks very much to all that answered. From what I have learned talking to an electrician (sometimes neighbors are a great help). He suggested what Hemmjo suggested. He thinks that going with a VFD is a lot safer and more versatile.

I am curious as to what this motor was used for, especially with the mount on the front. I have been trying to find out anything about this motor, but there is just nothing out there. I ordered a second motor if for nothing else to keep it in its original box.

Thanks again guys for your assistance.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Ron

...Semper Fidelis...

Thread Information