Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Can you make bottoming taps?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gpete View Post
    If you are using a high speed steel tap you don't need to worry about getting it too hot when you grind it. They are not carbon steel and do not respond to heat like a carbon steel does. It was made to replace carbon steel cutters so that turning speeds and drilling speeds could be increased to the point that a carbon steel tool would lose it's temper. I seem to remember an article about HSS wherein they claimed it would continue to cut at a red heat. GP
    if you look back at my post I said grind slow and repeat slowly cut it down or it gets brittle and breaks and I repeat you have to use slow even grinding. jimbo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hdrideblue View Post
    if you look back at my post I said grind slow and repeat slowly cut it down or it gets brittle and breaks and I repeat you have to use slow even grinding. jimbo
    You may be right about brittle and break but I was responding to the ideas in some other posts about drawing the temper as in carbon steel. I have made bottoming taps out of taper taps and did cool them but it was because they got too hot on the fingers. It doesn't take too long to grind one down. Also better to start the threads with a taper tap and finish with the home ground bottoming tap.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dtech's Tools
    Yes,
    I save broken ones or ones that start to wear or chip on the bottom for this purpose.
    You can take a zip wheel and cut them off. Keep the tap cool like every one else says.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information