Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car bursts into flames inside garage - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,851 Times in 9,933 Posts

Car bursts into flames inside garage - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Jul 29, 2023)

Thanks
    That is an absolutely terrifying thing to see. I own an auto repair shop and over the years I have had a fire happen twice. Both times I had a water hose handy (i know water and gasoline don't match) but both times the water hose saved my bacon.
    The first time was a car on the lift, fanned water while pinching off line and once pinched washed the fire right out the door.
    second time, car was on the ground, caught fire at the engine mounted fuel pump. Had my brother fan water down my arm as I reached in with my hand and plugged the fuel line as we rolled the car out of the shop. Kept my hand over the fuel hose end with water playing a fan until it burned out. Thankfully only some singed arm hair was the only loss. Todays newer vehicles with plastic fuel lines scare the crap out of me though.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ram50V8 For This Useful Post:

Dollar Bill (Jul 30, 2023), ductape (Jul 29, 2023), rgsparber (Jul 29, 2023)

Thanks
    A fire blanket might have fixed this,looks as though the shop is going to burn.

Thanks
    Obviously, no fire training whatever. And, as tooly said, a fire blanket could have save them much grief.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeVanGeaux For This Useful Post:

Inner (Jul 29, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I used to repair outboard engines at an inland boat shop. Was training a new guy. Not very bright by the way. He had rebuilt the carbs on a big V-4. (Big for back then). Had it in the test tank. Back then we could just jumper cables to start the big ones. Hook up ground them hit the terminal on the starter. I was just watching him. He cranked it a bit but did not start. I suggested he use the primer bulb on the fuel hose. (Remember those). When he did that fuel ran out of the carbs. Thought to myself OH BOY! When he hit that starter with the jumper you know what happened. Then he ran screaming fire fire, right past the big CO2 fire extinguisher hanging next to the test tank. One quick blast the drama over but he was still screaming fire fire.

Maybe you had to be there but it was like a comedy.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Guy in black had something on fire in his hands. Looks like it caused oil (?) on the floor to ignite. He ran to get extinguisher (yay) and then aimed it at the car instead of the base of the fire (boo). Maybe wrong type of extinguisher too. Bad day.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,790 Times in 4,208 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Inner View Post
    Guy in black had something on fire in his hands. Looks like it caused oil (?) on the floor to ignite. He ran to get extinguisher (yay) and then aimed it at the car instead of the base of the fire (boo). Maybe wrong type of extinguisher too. Bad day.
    Even with the wrong type of fire extinguisher it helps to know where they are instead of having to run all over the shop to find one. Spraying at the source first is part of fire and safety training. The poor kid in the shorts and t shirt seemed to be totally lost
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Even with the wrong type of fire extinguisher it helps to know where they are instead of having to run all over the shop to find one. Spraying at the source first is part of fire and safety training. The poor kid in the shorts and t shirt seemed to be totally lost
    It is with foam, looked like a CO2 and all it does, as seen, is spread the fuel and flames further faster. Still at least it wasn't a 'Dutch oven' fire:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK View Post
    It is with foam, looked like a CO2 and all it does, as seen, is spread the fuel and flames further faster. Still at least it wasn't a 'Dutch oven' fire:
    Just like all tools, you need the correct tool for the job and you need to know how to use it.

CO2 works very well for very specific types of fires. NOT good for big fires that are spreading rapidly. Not good for fires in paper, wood, or mixed materials like furnature, etc.

The CO2 works best on burning liquids especially if they are in a relatively contained space. They are perfect in a work shop where you are working with fuels etc.

And NO, we are not prepared for the EV fires, or for charging them or for disposal of the waste, we are just not ready for it.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    P.A.S.S - Pull (the pin) Aim (at the base of the flame) Squeeze (the handle activating the valve) Sweep (back and forth). Nearly any fire extinguisher will allow a short suppression if not complete extinguishing of a fire. I was always taught that technically a fire extinguisher is a life saving device that can also be used to put out fires. The distance between or density of fire extinguishers in a building are calculated so that, if you are inside a burning building, you should be able to use that extinguisher to clear a path THROUGH the flames to either the next extinguisher or an exit. As a Safety Manager, most people I have trained don't know that, let alone how to properly use a fire extinguisher!
    Last edited by Hoosiersmoker; Jul 31, 2023 at 08:18 AM.
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosiersmoker For This Useful Post:

Inner (Jul 31, 2023)

Thread Information