Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cargo box mounting structure

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Cargo box mounting structure

One of my friend's requirements for mounting the cargo box was to have it mounted high enough to be out of the way plus when the forklift sat a pallet of the small cardboard cartons on the front of his trailer, he would not have to bend over to pick them up and stack them inside the box The cartons weigh only about 5 lbs
    Another requirement by the shipper was the compartment had to be mounted in such a way that it could not be struck by a "car" in an accident Yeah right! Any "car" that could possibly hit anything mounted on or above the frame of a semi would have to be airborne in the first place.
    This is the special mounting structure I made for him. It is offset to one side to get around another regulation about not having any part of the exhaust system located between the cab or sleeper of a truck and its cargo container causing it to be blocked in on 3 sides or more. Since some trucks have the exhaust located to the side of their cabs in front of the sleepers effectively having 2 sides of the vehicle surrounding the exhaust system, I used this fact against them allowing me not to have to relocate the exhaust system by having 2 of the 4 sides exposed
    Later on once all of the dust has settled, we plan on possibly adding a couple more similar boxes under the cargo box on the existing structure.
    Cargo box  mounting structure-img_20220925_161520bm.jpg
    Cargo box  mounting structure-img_20220925_204601bm.jpg
    Cargo box  mounting structure-img_20220926_222955db.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

jackhoying (Sep 28, 2022), Jon (Sep 30, 2022), mr mikey (Sep 28, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Cargo Box Mounting Structure to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information