Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cart for jump start and diesel heater

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Cart for jump start and diesel heater

I have a little self-contained heater that runs on diesel and uses 12v as a power source. The heater is designed to be mounted in something like a school bus or box van or under the bunk in the sleeper of a semi Actually I have 3 or 4 of them but this is the only one that is fully self-contained plus it is new. I had been wanting to construct a cart to hold a couple of batteries for use as a jumper or testing lights and things on trailers without the tractor, I also needed a cart to make the little heater portable.
    This is what I used 3 lawnmower handle assemblies s metal tray out of something 2 child's bicycle tires a few bolts and a piece scrap metal
    Cart for jump start and diesel heater-img_20220101_135727bbc.jpg

Cart for jump start and diesel heater-img_20220102_154703bbc.jpg

Cart for jump start and diesel heater-img_20220102_154709bbc.jpg

Cart for jump start and diesel heater-img_20220102_154723bbc.jpg

Cart for jump start and diesel heater-img_20220102_154734bbc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Jan 4, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Heater and Jump Starting Cart to our Storage and Organization category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I think I've seen this type of heater used for extreme camping to heat a tent. It looks like it has a built in tank for kerosene or diesel. Is that about right what I'm thinking of Frank? And the 12v is for a blower motor. A mini furnace, I'm guessing 3KBTU/Hr.
    So does this warm the engine compartment by just blowing the hot air.
    I grew up in North Dakota, where tank heaters were connected into the coolant lines of a gas engines. And many places had a power source for them. Starting an engine at -45F can be fun. I figured out when Mobil 1 came out that it was worth the $2.90/qt (vs $0.65/qt conventional oil ~1969). As my V8 389 Pontiac would always start. That and use a huge battery meant for a Cadillac.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I think I've seen this type of heater used for extreme camping to heat a tent. It looks like it has a built in tank for kerosene or diesel. Is that about right what I'm thinking of Frank? And the 12v is for a blower motor. A mini furnace, I'm guessing 3KBTU/Hr.
    So does this warm the engine compartment by just blowing the hot air.
    I grew up in North Dakota, where tank heaters were connected into the coolant lines of a gas engines. And many places had a power source for them. Starting an engine at -45F can be fun. I figured out when Mobil 1 came out that it was worth the $2.90/qt (vs $0.65/qt conventional oil ~1969). As my V8 389 Pontiac would always start. That and use a huge battery meant for a Cadillac.
    Yes it has its own tank for diesel the 12v fires the igniter and the blower its max output is 9KW or 30K BTU/hr, it has a Key fob remote to control the output, on the bottom of it a hose for fresh air intake for combustion can be installed as well as a tube and an exhaust resonator this enables it to be mounted in the storage compartment under the bunk of a sleeper or under a seat of a school bus there is also provisions for ducting of the heated air to be circulated as desired.
    the booklet says it can run for up to 10 hrs on a gallon of fuel , probably on a lower setting I would imagine.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information