Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cat 235 remote field work

Thanks
    I do not believe the magnetic base drilling machine would be rigid enough. The portable boring machines is the best idea. If you live in a large city you might find a rental place with one.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Hi brg how about a roto-broc drill that’s the one with a big magnet so it will just stick to the side of the machine with a large drill bit or a boring head to clean the hole up for you. Hope that helps all the best ijs61 ( Ian J Smith )

2000 Tool Plans
    Be colour blind my friend and live life to the full and make every minute count Impossible only means you haven't found the solution yet.

Thanks
    I have built two of these rigs. I used a milwaukee mag drill motor. It had the gear reduction option plus a variable speed VFD control and is rated for a 1.5 inch drill bit. It was very similar to this picture. Which uses the Milwaukee drive motor. I built a very similar rig with two precision shafts and an acme thread drive and a hand driven feed.

You will then need a boring bar that will accept the square lath style carbide bits. We cross drilled and tapped ever 3-4 inches. Square holes can be broached or inserts sweated in.

You will find that simply sticking a mag drill on will not give the results you want. The vibration will move the drill around and the rack gear has too much play, this will cause bit chatter and quickly destroy both the bit and the work. I also found that connecting the boring bar directly to the motor made it hard to line up and caused vibration. I used a short drive line with two U-joints, this allowed for a slight misalignment while still providing a precise feed.

You will also need a couple line up cones to center the bar to the bores while you tack weld the flange face bearing plates on.

Also some "L" shaped plates to give a standoff distance between the bearing plates and the pin boss. This lets you see in and should give you enough space to adjust the bit without dismounting everything. Here they used angle iron.

The important thing is to have a very precise low back lash feed and a powerful enough motor that you can control the speed of.

There are many ways to build this that will work. The first portable line bore I built, I used a milling table off of a shop drill, to which I mounted the Milwaukee drive motor. It was rigid and fed smoothly without chatter. It was just really heavy to lug around and setup. But as it was a proof of concept, I just used what I had at hand before laying out a lot of money. After I seen it worked, I harvested parts for my next build which turned out much like the one above, only without the shiny paint.

When it came time to press in new bushings, we used a hollow porta power and 1" Grade 8 redi rods. Simply cut plate washers with which to push or pull the bushings into place. This is the exact one we used which can often be rented.

Enerpac Hand Pump Parts - Bing images

Renting a machine, or hiring one might also be a cost effective option rather than building your own. It can be a rather costly thing to build if your only doing a few bores. There are ready to run options out there. Portable Line Boring Machine Tools for Heavy Equipment Bore Repair

The ready made boring bars are worth buying. It's hard to make them cheaper than you can buy them. And the chrome plated shafts last.

I did the welding for Finning's Portable line bore machine about a dozen times before I tried to build one. By then I had a pretty good idea of what was involved and where to source pin material and hardened bushings. Plus he gave me all of the interference fits on the bore sizes. I did the center pins on a dozen loaders and countless pins and bushings on buckets, loader booms and excavators. So it was worth it to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cat 235 remote field work-drivehead_in_use.161100957_std.jpg  
    Last edited by amirlach; Apr 24, 2017 at 03:18 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to amirlach For This Useful Post:

KustomsbyKent (Apr 24, 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrehmus View Post
    By the way, there are machine shops that specialize in on-site heavy machinery work.
    like moving heavy equipment, hire the people who do it for a living,quicker,cheaper,safer.

Thanks
    I had to do the same job many years ago and we rented a Climax portable boring machine. For a 1 time job I think that would be the easiest solution. Should be able to find one most anywhere as we are in a town of less than 20,000 people and had no problem. Climax has a rental program and here is their contact link We're Here To Help! - Contact Us - CLIMAX Portable

Thanks
    Hi all, you can be inspired by this topic in this interesting french forum!

Aléseuse portative DiY | Usinages

I m also french, so be gentle with my language

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    I think bvd1940 is on the money if you have to bore. Question where are the pins? Most pins run metal to metal, case hardened pin to case hardened bush and usually you can gouge the welds and knock the old bushs out then fit new bushes, weld in with a couple of cones with a through bolt to locate accurately.
    Must have been dry for a long time to wear like that.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information