Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cat countertop deterrent and the Falling Cat Problem - GIFs and video

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    And Eadweard Muybridge who solved how certain animals 'collect' and whether any time occurs the feet are not touching the ground when running.

Naturally Wikipedia has a fine presentation of biographic material on him and his work.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eadweard_Muybridge

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

nhengineer's Tools
    There are exceptions to every rule; besides, the bear and cat weren't injured.

Only thing hurt was the bear's self-esteem. It's most unlikely he'll tell his mum what happened.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    What about a perfectly innocent bear being chased by a cat?

I'm OK to watch injury videos, as long as it's a person being injured, or possibly a wild animal, but not a pet. However, I prefer no gore, and at least some sort of educational component or tie-in to safety procedures.

Interestingly, the Falling Cat Problem was addressed in Nature in 1894, and the investigating scientist, Étienne-Jules Marey (who also invented the photography machine to capture the experiment), demonstrated the problem by dropping the cat!

No catastrophe there not even a cat in the tree.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts
    A classic in the genre. I like how the cat body-checks the dog. And then goes back for more!

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    A classic in the genre. I like how the cat body-checks the dog. And then goes back for more!

<video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/cat_saves_boy_from_dog_attack.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>
    I think in this vid. the cat was chasing the dog in play then the dog was looking for the cat. Why the dog toppled the toddler is anybody's guess but the cat didn't like it and chased the dog off then decided to follow to make sure he had left.
    we have 2 4 month old puppies that are still at that everything goes in their mouth phase and a small litter of 4 kittens that are about 2 months old the pups will wallow and wallow the kittens carry them around then the kittens will have enough of it then hiss and scratch until the pup lets it go then the stupid kitten will come back and lay down right at the pups mouth as if to say let's do this again.
    Our chickens are opportunistic food thieves. they free range anywhere they want during the day we keep dry food out for the dogs and the cats at all times and treat them once in a while with leftovers of I will scramble up a dozen eggs once or twice a week and feed them the occasional can of their favorite pet food. cat food on a table in the car port dog food under the table. The cats will nibble once in a while at the dogs food but if the dogs were able to get at the cat food they would eat all of it. the chickens will wander into the car port for a snack but Jane does not want them there for obvious reasons they will leave droppings everywhere unlike farm cats and dogs who will go off way out of the yard to do their business.
    This 1 male dog we have now 11 months old by a previous litter somehow broke one of his legs at 3 months old. so a trip to the vet was mandatory. he is the first animal we have ever allowed in the house since her 15 year old female Warlock Doberman died 25 years ago from fright of a thunder storm. Anyway Jane will open the door and shoo the chickens by saying shoo, Hurry up. the male if he happens to be in the house of outside and hears her will bolt like lightening and jump at the chickens once they leave the carport he will stand guard several minutes to see they do not return before going off and doing dog things. Jane can be outside and see the chickens a just say Victor Chickens Hurry up and he bolts off to the car port. it wasn't anything we trained him to do just something he learned on his own and now he has taught his half brother and sister to do the same thing. They won't bother the chickens if they are not under the car port.
    In some ways animals are very smart and protective.
    I suspect the yellow cat and the black bear cub incident is a case of the cat protecting his domain.
    I can't say about the cat's and the cucumbers except that maybe they are just city idiot cats our cats young and old will not react to things like that.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jul 7, 2019), high-side (Aug 3, 2020)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    It is interesting that the vid is/are from two locations: almost anticipated!

To get my jack russell out of his bed & to check out a shed from which I was retriving something, I told him to skitch the monsters this morn. He checked the shed with pup in tow & I heard a scuffle soon after. Leaving the shed I found he had dismembered a snake behind the shed. he goes to extrordinary lengths to kill when pup is with him, whwere as usually it is over & done with in seconds.

When concreteing the other day I heard some kaffulle & noticed the pup running away from him with something. After getting up from my knees (arthritis is a bugger) I noticed it was a black snake that the pup had killed & the jack russell probably wanted to make sure it was dead. They have a whole language of their own & i can't woof! I do however recognise a "snake" bark & generally pick up the dog if not already in kill mode.It not a good idea to distract them at such times as they can be bitten in a split second of distraction.

cheers

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jul 7, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 7, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    The male we call Victor named so due to the markings on his head face resembling those of the famous Victrola commercial of the 1950s When he had his broken hind leg the vet said I can immobilize it and he has a 30% chance of healing properly but he is very young and still growing so hopefully my predictions are way off. I said lets go ahead and start his round of shots anyway he is going to need them no matter what. the Vet asked if we wanted to include the anti snake bite shots to help him against the probability of encountering a rattlesnake. I didn't know that one was available I told him but yes by all means. About 3 weeks ago the wife let him out around 6:30 Am then around 8 AM he wanted back in his ear and face was bleeding and starting to swell. so we drove the 45 miles to the vet. by the time we got there his face was swollen all the way down under his mouth about 4 times its normal size We had to go to another vet because our regular one was out on a farm call the new vet Lady said your dog was not only bitten by a snake but it appears that he was in a fight with it there are 2 or 3 pairs of bites on his face. I doubt if he is going to make it unless he had had the shots for snake bite. I told her that he has had them. She cleaned and shaved the whole side of his face then wrapped him with a slight compression bandage to stem the bleeding gave us a round of antibiotics to give him. After we got back home I found a very dead snake with 23 rattles and a button quite a ways from the house. Yep I thought you might have hit my dog but you picked on the wrong animal to tussle with. Victor's hair is growing back nicely. By the way he can jump up on the table where the cat food is kept and run like a streak of lightening so his leg turned out all right One tough 37 lb blue healer mix
    Jane just told me that the momma dog we call Maggie has had her 4th litter of pups this one as we have been saying for the last 3 litters are going to be her last Victor is from litter #2 Her first litter was a litter of 5 we gave 3 way then the 2 got killed victor was from a litter of 6 a snake got 5 of them while he was being kept in the house nursing his broken leg Litter #3 was only 2 pups they are victor's trainees. Jane says she thinks 4 dogs are enough but I disagree far too valuable to keep varmints at bay.
    But getting her fixed it high on the priority list 4 litters in less than3 years is just too much to deal with
    Last edited by Frank S; Jul 7, 2019 at 09:50 AM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Beserkleyboy (Jul 7, 2019), high-side (Aug 3, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jul 7, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    The male we call Victor named so due to the markings on his head face resembling those of the famous Victrola commercial of the 1950s When he had his broken hind leg the vet said I can immobilize it and he has a 30% chance of healing properly but he is very young and still growing so hopefully my predictions are way off. I said lets go ahead and start his round of shots anyway he is going to need them no matter what. the Vet asked if we wanted to include the anti snake bite shots to help him against the probability of encountering a rattlesnake. I didn't know that one was available I told him but yes by all means. About 3 weeks ago the wife let him out around 6:30 Am then around 8 AM he wanted back in his ear and face was bleeding and starting to swell. so we drove the 45 miles to the vet. by the time we got there his face was swollen all the way down under his mouth about 4 times its normal size We had to go to another vet because our regular one was out on a farm call the new vet Lady said your dog was not only bitten by a snake but it appears that he was in a fight with it there are 2 or 3 pairs of bites on his face. I doubt if he is going to make it unless he had had the shots for snake bite. I told her that he has had them. She cleaned and shaved the whole side of his face then wrapped him with a slight compression bandage to stem the bleeding gave us a round of antibiotics to give him. After we got back home I found a very dead snake with 23 rattles and a button quite a ways from the house. Yep I thought you might have hit my dog but you picked on the wrong animal to tussle with. Victor's hair is growing back nicely. By the way he can jump up on the table where the cat food is kept and run like a streak of lightening so his leg turned out all right One tough 37 lb blue healer mix
    Jane just told me that the momma dog we call Maggie has had her 4th litter of pups this one as we have been saying for the last 3 litters are going to be her last Victor is from litter #2 Her first litter was a litter of 5 we gave 3 way then the 2 got killed victor was from a litter of 6 a snake got 5 of them while he was being kept in the house nursing his broken leg Litter #3 was only 2 pups they are victor's trainees. Jane says she thinks 4 dogs are enough but I disagree far too valuable to keep varmints at bay.
    But getting her fixed it high on the priority list 4 litters in less than3 years is just too much to deal with
    Blue healers are a very determined & protective breed. I knew a guard dog breeder & he claimed the only guard dog better than a bluey was the close relative that had dingo blood in it viz: Aust'n Red Cattle Dog. He told me of so many people who wanted dobermans, shepherds, waimarino & bull terriers because of shows like 007.

FWIW- Unfortunately idiots have crossed bred big strong happy/docile dog breeds due to their power with other less reliable breeds like pit bulls that when badly treated become "dangerous" to everything and its no wonder that some have killed their owners. A savage dog does not make it a good snaker.

Never liked the look of rattle snakes or sidewinders as they remind me of our aptly named death adder and some smaller and larger tigers.

Expanding on my previous post= It is winter here and everyone knows that snakes are not active during winter but all those folk forgot to tell the snakes that. I went to the shed seeking stored items in low shelves so took our Jack Russell with me: the young silkyX following to learn from the other learners. They quickly abandoned me and I continued my search on bended knees (I have a small walkway in that shed).

I heard a kaffuffle behind the shed but continued my search.
    After finding the tractor mower deck wheels I went to check out the commotion. The Jack Russell was covered in blood, & totally exhausted but still doing his thing to the totally ripped apart jo blake. I wasn't going to count scales to try to assertain what species it was but it could have been a harmless Keelback; a very pugnatious & venomous Rough Scale snake: or a smallish coastal Taipan :too many small bits and as the bin guy was due the next morning that became its temp resting place.

Incomplete Very Important ADVICE :- never distract your cat or dog that is in direct contact with a snake. (Unfortunately cats are often just curious or playing with critters.)

Be aware of your own instincts ( My hairs on the back of my neck rise ((at least that is what it feels like)) & I get an almost goosebump feeling when a venomous snake is detected by my subconscious).

Be aware also that most fatalities/ bites here in Aus ( we have many of the very dangerous species ) are from folk trying to kill one or they stand on one=keep your eyes peeled. They can strike at least twice their length so a long handled post hole shovel or a brushcutter is no match for a one metre snake strike. Coastal Taipans can strike several times in a second. A bit like dodging lightning once it started.

Also be aware that most snakes (Taipans and some other venomous ones excluded) have poor eyesight but see your heat and detect your vibrations=somethings you just cant hide.
    Last edited by ranald; Jul 8, 2019 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add extra

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    re ranald's snake encyclopedia; now I'm staying home.
    Like the black & white photos mucking out Venetian canals, the Australian snake thing never shows up on travel posters.
    Wonder why.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yep and that old wives' tale about a western diamond back cannot strike unless in a coil is about as true as the moon being made out of cheese. When they coil it means they had tried to get away and couldn't and are now agitated the coiling is a defensive posture against predators attacking it. Normally I would have just shot it but after running as hard as I did to see what she was hollering about I knew that I wouldn't have been able to hit it clean in 1 shot with my pocket 9 mm onw of my many shot guns sure or one of my rifles but those require aiming and I had neither with me at the time. it they are not coiled I generally stomp their heads into the ground then cut it off. One note they can strike through a thick leather boot so you don't want to stomp on one if you don't know for certain that you are going to drive the head into the ground. Tangling 1 up in a garden rake never a leaf rake means you need a 2nd person to pin and lob off the head. A machete works well but this brings your hand within a couple feet of the critter and if your don't chop close enough to the head you'll most likely require a trip to the ER

Thread Information