Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cerrosafe

Thanks

Murph1090's Tools
    I've used it for a few other uses as well - some of them well off the beaten track!

As a locksmith, I have a key casting kit, lets me take an impression of the key to form a mould and make a exact copy of said key! Right out of the CIA playbook, eh?

I've also cast nuts and bolts from it, using two-part silicone to make a mould, making fasteners that would predictably fail at certain temps. Worked great!

Murph1090

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Have heard of using it to mould around high precision parts as a sacrificial clamping surface so as to not cause damage from clamping. My old boss used some to replicate a British car club(?) Mediation for his Austin 10.
    Eric

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    Have heard of using it to mould around high precision parts as a sacrificial clamping surface so as to not cause damage from clamping. My old boss used some to replicate a British car club(?) Mediation for his Austin 10.
    Eric
    Yes, I've used it for clamping myself. It's especially useful for clamping castings with no reference surface so the initial surface can be machined

"Mediation"? Should that be medallion?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Yes, sorry, a jumble of electrons always trying to out-guess the human.
    Eric

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by suther51 View Post
    Yes, sorry, a jumble of electrons always trying to out-guess the human.
    Eric
    Until auto-correctors become fully conscious to the point of understanding the material to which they are applied, they are perfectly useless. There is no electronic substitute for proof-reading.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Until auto-correctors become fully conscious to the point of understanding the material to which they are applied, they are perfectly useless. There is no electronic substitute for proof-reading.
    I run into auto-correct so frequently, no matter how much I add to my dictionary. Real question is how did these products get made ignorant of processes guaranteed of use to produce them?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I double clicked in error. Pretty sure nobody want to read my stuff twice. Instead, how was your day?
    We had machinery movers in shop today, 6 of them for a three man job...found work away from where they were. They braced horizontal mill by wood blocks under the sliding ram to lift. I noticed fork blades seemed a little too far apart, right before the main 8" x 8" splintered, dropping the mill about a foot. Bad enough but first offense, they hadn't blocked the knee to unload the elevating screw.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 18, 2018 at 06:21 PM. Reason: See, saved y'all from double post!
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Toolmaker51 for your info on your sulfur/graphite mix. Never heard of that one. First time I ever used a Cerro product; I accidentally used Cerrobend instead of Cerrosafe to do a chamber cast on a rifle. BAD IDEA! It stuck, and I had to knock it out with a cleaning rod and a wooden dowell. I didn't think I would ever get it out. They are good products for the correct applications. I understand that there is a product now that is a plastic resin of some sort for bending thin wall tubing that is much cheaper than Cerrobend. They also have a product called Cerrolow That is an alloy of Indium that melts at 117 degrees f. Interestingly enough, Indium is also the metal that "screams" under stress (bending).

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    One supplier of resin mixtures is "Flex-Bar", well known for their inspection tools.
    WARNING. Have spouse retain your debit card before entering their site IYKWIM. A ponderous mass of wondrous products. With an intro byline of Unique Inspection, Measurement & Machine Safety Systems , they say 'Unique' ain't whistlin Dixie.

Unique Inspection, Measurement & Machine Safety Systems | Flexbar Machine Corporation - Flexbar

Be it known I rarely mention corporations by name or expound their virtues; when I do, experience says OK.
    Never been offered compensation. Of course, those I respect most are long out of business.....

I've not bent much tubing without a mandrel or bending apparatus. But fine sand sealed in thin wall worked not so bad.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 19, 2018 at 07:05 PM. Reason: I think and amend more than proofread. I think...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Sulphur-Carbon casting recipe from NBS Handbook 1934

Melting point of sulphur is (as you all already know):
    115 °C or 240 °F

Cerrosafe-sulphur-graphite-casts.jpg

Thread Information