Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cheap wrenches for making homemade tools - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,784 Times in 11,323 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    great!! i had never thought of making a chisel out of a broken wrench,thanks,,,and FYI everybody, all these modded tools are for home use only,, thanks to obama OSHA is slowly going around searching tool boxs at work places and making everybody take home their "mutilated" tools... its factory made tools only at work now..and 19mm and 3/4 are identical, you only need one of the size..

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to madokie For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jan 2, 2021)

Thanks

katy's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by madokie View Post
    19mm and 3/4 are identical, you only need one of the size..
    Actually one needs 2, one to hold the head of the bolt and one for the nut.

Keep smilin', Ken

5. The Following User Says Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    I was actually thinking about this yesterday, you really do need two wrenches of each. Locking jam nuts is just one example. I was actually looking at box end wrenches to supplement my box/open end wrenches. In some cases multiple wrenches are required just to cover different access issues.

Quote Originally Posted by katy View Post
    Actually one needs 2, one to hold the head of the bolt and one for the nut.

Keep smilin', Ken

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    When or where did you hear of this OSHA nonsense? A good portion of my tools are specifically made for the tools / machines I work on.

Quote Originally Posted by madokie View Post
    great!! i had never thought of making a chisel out of a broken wrench,thanks,,,and FYI everybody, all these modded tools are for home use only,, thanks to obama OSHA is slowly going around searching tool boxs at work places and making everybody take home their "mutilated" tools... its factory made tools only at work now..and 19mm and 3/4 are identical, you only need one of the size..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    "Actually one needs 2" - I say what sort of talk is this! On the right path but the fact is one can never actually have enough.
    Take jam nuts for example, you do the thin nut up to the specified torque then you torque up the standard nut on top. . It pays to hold the jam nut and many spanners are too thick to allow tightening the top nut if they are used so now you need a thin section spanner. You might still want to hold the head of the bolt as well so that is three.
    Even thinner ones for in really tight places, bicycles are an example, plus off-set ones for around corners, early Chev distributors! Long spanners for under things, short stubby ones for where the long ones can't go etc, etc, etc.
    I would say two toolboxes for the spanner collection would be better!
    Last edited by NortonDommi; Jan 2, 2021 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks
    they do make thin wrenches, or did make for carburator use on american cars,about 1/8 to 3/16 thick..but usually when i need two wrenches of the same size most of the time i can use a socket on one end and a combination wrench on the other.this is the way my vehicle tool bags are,u cant carry every tool u want in your vehicle,,i hate using adjustable /cresent wrenches,they always fit too loose and slip off too easily,now for light duty use stanley does make a locking adjustable wrench ,,china crap, but it does work ,just go easy with it, not a heavy duty tool..also vise grip makes a locking pliers with 3 flats for locking on nut and bolt hexs,usable if u can fit it in place,it was 5-7 years a go when i first heard of Obamas OSHA nazis making their rounds, and some one on a site wanted to know if anyone had seen a factory made cheater pipe to fit over his 1/2 ratchet he could use at work.last machine shop i worked at was perparing to do that when i was laid off.go through every ones tool boxs and make them put all welded, ground on, heated and bent,and "mutilated" tools in their vehicles to take home and never bring them back.thats the way it is in auto repair,,plenty of factory made tools to get in tight places when fixing a vehicle.specialty tools are a big business.so when u have to spend 30$ or more on a specialty wrench to do one thing ,,u can thank obama for lightening your wallet.just like when u have to fight with a gas can to get it to pour ,,same thing thank obama!!!
    Last edited by madokie; Jan 2, 2021 at 06:19 PM.

Thanks
    Ive found the newer harbenger of fright tools to be better quality that the crapsman and many others. the harbernger of fright torque wrenches are way better than the run of the mill ones(craftsmans, snappons yes snappon tq wrenches are no where as good as these cheep $20&under harborfright tq wrenches, mac, matco all junk compared to the.I have them all paid a lot of $$$ for some of them. and the harborfright ones 1/4,3/8&1/2" are all withen 2 pounds at alomst every setting the $150+ snappon is nowhere neer that.and the harborfright ones click every time not like the others that click 8 out of 10 times. I probably have over $10,000 in hand tools 90% bought new by me to make a living with.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

mdhatter3 (Aug 19, 2023)

Thread Information