Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chestnut-peeling shoes - photo

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

Chestnut-peeling shoes - photo

I love chestnuts. They're less common as street food these days, but I remember traveling to New York City around the holidays as a child, and getting them whole roasted from street vendors. These days, my favorite recipe is Whole Braised Chestnuts on page 519 of Julia Child's classic cookbook Mastering the Art of French Cooking. They're excellent with duck, or ideally, goose.

But peeling chestnuts is a terrible job, and the pre-peeled jarred chestnuts never match the taste of the fresh ones. Chestnuts have both an outside shell (called a pericarp) and an inside skin (called a pellicle). So, they have to be de-shelled (fairly easy) and then decorticated (horrible fingertip-mangling job). Regarding decortication, Child says: "Peeling off the inside skin is a chore whatever method you adopt". It's also difficult to do without accidentally breaking the chestnut into pieces.

Maybe I just didn't have the correct tool? Here's a pair of French chestnut decortication shoes. I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind me wearing these shoes in the house:

Anyone know a better trick? I've tried searching Google Patents for terms like decortication, but I'm not seeing anything good so far. How is this done commercially? I see some chestnut-peeling machines on YouTube, but I wonder if this can be reasonably done with a homemade tool.

More:

Châtaigne et marron : l'ethnobotanique du Châtaignier — Département de Biologie (English translation)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

cognitdiss (Nov 27, 2021), NortonDommi (Aug 21, 2017), Seedtick (Aug 21, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

peeler spike density

If these chestnut-peeling shoes do work, then I think any of my mountaineering boots with crampons attached would do as well. They have 10 vertical spikes per shoe. The two front pointing ones wouldn't interfere with the procedure (never tried this, of course!)

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by volodar; Aug 24, 2017 at 09:23 AM. Reason: detail added

Thread Information