Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chili roasting tumbler - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Chili roasting tumbler - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Always looked forward to chili harvest time in New Mexico. Seemed like every grocery store would have a guy in the parking lot with his roaster selling bags of chili. One of the most amazing smells, but then the real works begins when you get home having to peel them. Without rubbing your eyes or needing to go to the bathroom.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    for my ignorance, what does roasting do to the chillies? change flavour? change texture? mention of peeling - does the roasting burn the skin, or make it crack and flake?

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    It basically cooks them in their skin. You don't eat green chilis raw. It does soften then up. Imaging cooking a bell pepper whole, except the chili is not as thick, so it breaks it down a bit. As far as the skin, yes, all of the above, they do get a bit charred. You want the skin to blister a bit. The skin has to be removed before you use or freeze them. One of the ways we would get the skins to come off easier was to put them into a plastic bag (usually a trash bag) as soon as they come out of the roaster for the drive home. That would cause them to be steamed a bit and the skin would come off much easier. They are then added into recipes or stuffed and cooked that way. As far as the other comments, after handling them, you would now have capsaicin on your hands and had to be conscious of what you did. You are quickly reminded for lack of awareness.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by odd one View Post
    It basically cooks them in their skin. You don't eat green chilis raw. It does soften then up. Imaging cooking a bell pepper whole, except the chili is not as thick, so it breaks it down a bit. As far as the skin, yes, all of the above, they do get a bit charred. You want the skin to blister a bit. The skin has to be removed before you use or freeze them. One of the ways we would get the skins to come off easier was to put them into a plastic bag (usually a trash bag) as soon as they come out of the roaster for the drive home. That would cause them to be steamed a bit and the skin would come off much easier. They are then added into recipes or stuffed and cooked that way. As far as the other comments, after handling them, you would now have capsaicin on your hands and had to be conscious of what you did. You are quickly reminded for lack of awareness.
    Thanks!! - I cook with capsicums (bell peppers) a fair bit, but always opened up (Diced,sliced etc) so skin isn't an issue... and I have some unfortunate memories of cooking using chilies (birdseye and "normal") and then forgetting myself and rubbing an itch near my eye, so I do understand the reference.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information