Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chinese tape measure winding worker - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

Chinese tape measure winding worker - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Nov 7, 2019), baja (Nov 7, 2019), Miloslav (Nov 6, 2019), rlm98253 (Nov 6, 2019), SculptyWorks (Nov 8, 2019), Seedtick (Nov 6, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    And they last about as long as it takes her to assemble

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    I think I had that tape measure. It worked ok for the first 8 or 10 times I used it, then I left it lay out in the weather for a year and it won't roll back up :O

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    I've never had good luck with any name brand tape measures. Lufkin being one of the worse. The failures are typically to the tape where I'm extending it out to measure spacings between roof rafters, and the tape bends over and produces a kink in the blade. This renders it useless for 'airborn flight' ever again. That and recoil springs early failure. Seems the name brands have poor heat treat or hardness specifications.
    Also I never let a tape recoil back without braking it from having the tip slam in, as this is a good way to cause the end of the tape to be damaged.
    My best luck has been with the local home supply (Menards), and buy their "Tool Shop" brand.
    The video looks like one of those bright yellow Stanley brand tape measures that I've also had bad luck with.
    The video is missing the beginning where the recoil spring is wound, that would be interesting to see. The operator is doing this all bare handed, seems like a good cut from the tape edge is needed or this is a staged video.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    I've never had good luck with any name brand tape measures. Lufkin being one of the worse. The failures are typically to the tape where I'm extending it out to measure spacings between roof rafters, and the tape bends over and produces a kink in the blade. This renders it useless for 'airborn flight' ever again. That and recoil springs early failure. Seems the name brands have poor heat treat or hardness specifications.
    Also I never let a tape recoil back without braking it from having the tip slam in, as this is a good way to cause the end of the tape to be damaged.
    My best luck has been with the local home supply (Menards), and buy their "Tool Shop" brand.
    The video looks like one of those bright yellow Stanley brand tape measures that I've also had bad luck with.
    The video is missing the beginning where the recoil spring is wound, that would be interesting to see. The operator is doing this all bare handed, seems like a good cut from the tape edge is needed or this is a staged video.
    Like you I hardly ever buy a Branded tape measure anymore I figure it this way why spend 17 to 25 dollars for a tape that will not last any longer than a 5 dollar one the exception being a small 1/2" wide stainless steel tape marked in 50ths of an inch I've only been able to find them in 6ft and 12 ft lengths made by or for Lufkin or Starrett. the last one I owned lasted for nearly 20 years of carrying it in my pocket.
    A 25 ft 1" tape seems to be the most popular for most but I personally like a 33 or 35 ft tape the main issues I have with most tapes are first off the so called belt clip secondly the center post the spring is held by, 3rd is the blade brake, 4th is the spring itself, and lastly the hook.
    Breaking down my complaints beginning with the um, belt clip almost all of them are held in place by the main center screw of the body and a divot in the metal clip to stop it from rotating on the body these clips are either inherently too stiff or too weak, too stiff means they are hard to clip on the seam of my pants pocket they hardly ever will clip over my belt too weak means the temper is lacking and they become spread open and will not stay in place or the screw backs out then it will never stay tight even with epoxying it in place so they usually get removed
    The center post on many tapes shear off then the spring unwinds and the tape is trash.
    the blade brakes either self destruct or are hard to keep locked or they wont release
    the spring when it breaks is usually either the thinned down center hook or where it hooks to the tape only once have I had the blade break right there
    the blade hook is the most vulnerable because of the way they have to stick below the body so they often become bent and need straightened I have had a few tapes where the pivots gave way but that is rare
    little 1 1/2 body size 6 ft and the 2 inch body 12 ft tapes seem to last the longest since most of the ones I have bought did not come with a belt clip and were carried in my pocket but much of the stuff I do requires a much longer tape, the reason I prefer the 33 & 35 ft tapes is I don't have to extend them all the way to the end very often but they are quite a bit more bulky . I once bought a tape that had a 1 1/2" wide blade. What a mammoth bulky thing that was. It was too large to even consider wearing on my pocket but if needed the blade would extend out nearly 15 ft in supported but if it was ever allowed to bend backwards it would do it again in the same spot and eventually would break.
    that's my summery on retractable tapes the best tape I ever owned was not a retractable but a 1/2" wide 50 ft roll up that was only 2 1/2" in diameter small enough to be carried in my pocket and durable because the body was made of stainless steel

Thanks
    I have been the gambit of tape measures also. One I really like is an old wind-up stainless steel 33 ft. one made by Lufkin with the reddish brown leather cover. I also like to use the fold-up Lufkin wooden carpenter rules as well, however being a left-hander they are difficult. They actually made one for left-handed people, but they are kind of hard to find.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieL View Post
    I have been the gambit of tape measures also. One I really like is an old wind-up stainless steel 33 ft. one made by Lufkin with the reddish brown leather cover. I also like to use the fold-up Lufkin wooden carpenter rules as well, however being a left-hander they are difficult. They actually made one for left-handed people, but they are kind of hard to find.
    I tell everyone that I'm a lefty but I do so much with either it is often hard to tell as I read a tape upside down right side up right to left, left to right makes no difference to me I do the same thing with data plates using a mirror to see them.
    I used to have a steel folding rule that I really liked metric printed on 1 side inch on the other Think it may have been Lufkin as well

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    When my wife worked in the steel business she got a tape measure marked in 1/10ths of a foot. Want to mess up an American? Hand him that tape measure!

Of course now on her desk sits two tape measures, one in feet/inches and a metric one we picked up on our first trip to Russia. She also has some steel scales in various denominations.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    When my wife worked in the steel business she got a tape measure marked in 1/10ths of a foot. Want to mess up an American? Hand him that tape measure!

Of course now on her desk sits two tape measures, one in feet/inches and a metric one we picked up on our first trip to Russia. She also has some steel scales in various denominations.
    tenths of a foot tapes were what we used in the oilpatch as tally tapes. Great way to weed out the worm hands is to hand a 100 ft tally tape to a couple and tell them to go log a string of drill stem. when they bring the chart back and you see things like 33 ft 4 1/2inches written on it you know neither one of them can read a tally/
    33.45ft would be what you wanted to see, but the concept of a decimal foot would be a foreign to them as the difference between API tapered thread and double buttress or hydrill they would also add the length of the male thread on the pin end instead of hooking off the mating surface of each end.

Thanks
    In law enforcement we also used those in decimal format when measuring to create Crime Scene drawings and car crash scenes. It was much easier to plot on the computer. I had always referred to them as Engineering tapes or scales.

Thread Information