Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Circuit Board Drill Templates

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Circuit Board Drill Templates

Occasionally I etch my own circuit board and then drill it to accommodate through hole components. Components with rigidly positioned pins demand fairly accurate hole placement. This is not so easy when free hand drilling, especially when the drill bit is 0.03 inches in diameter.

My solution is to build a series of templates to guide my drilling. They are made from pre-drilled circuit board material so I just cut them out, solder in two alignment pins, and mark the holes.

If you are interested, please see

http://rick.sparber.org/SRCBT.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

David Johnson (Jun 30, 2018), logrod (Jun 30, 2018), Paul Jones (Jun 29, 2018), philipUsesWood&Brass (Jul 2, 2018), PJs (Jun 30, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 29, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Apr 3, 2022), Whiteboardwarriors2 (Jun 29, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks Rick! We've added your Circuit Board Drilling Template to our Electronics category, as well as to your builder page: Rick's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

FEM2008 (Aug 7, 2020)

Thanks
    That is a simple and excellent idea. I have etched many a PCB and I know exactly what you mean about drilling holes. it's also quicker than trying to do it on a mill.

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    do you etch the "centre punch mark" to aid in drilling? I don't do this enough to claim much knowledge, but I do know they taught us at uni to use pads with a .5mm hole in the centre for the reason of helping to align the drill.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    do you etch the "centre punch mark" to aid in drilling? I don't do this enough to claim much knowledge, but I do know they taught us at uni to use pads with a .5mm hole in the centre for the reason of helping to align the drill.
    For homemade PCBs, I've always done the layout with an etched hole in the center of the pads. It does indeed help with drill alignment. But, very small drill bits flex and wonder sometimes, especially if I'm not being careful. If there a lot of holes to drill, I tend to get sloppy towards the end. It is good enough for most components though, even IC pins. But as you noted, sometimes more accuracy is needed.

It's probably been 3 years now, but the last board I did, I, sent to a fab house in China, and for just a few dollars, I got 5-blank pcbs complete with silkscreen. The quality was excellent, and best of all, I did not have to deal with the etching solution. The only complaint was it took a couple of weeks. For $20 more, I could've had the PCBs in in about 4-days, but that was double the cost of the PCBs themselves.

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by FEM2008 View Post
    That is a simple and excellent idea. I have etched many a PCB and I know exactly what you mean about drilling holes. it's also quicker than trying to do it on a mill.
    Here is the idea generalized:

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    Yes, I do etch a "centre punch mark" but with the system shown above in the video, I only need them at two points as long as all holes are on 0.1-inch centers.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by FEM2008 View Post
    For homemade PCBs, I've always done the layout with an etched hole in the center of the pads. It does indeed help with drill alignment. But, very small drill bits flex and wonder sometimes, especially if I'm not being careful. If there a lot of holes to drill, I tend to get sloppy towards the end. It is good enough for most components though, even IC pins. But as you noted, sometimes more accuracy is needed.

It's probably been 3 years now, but the last board I did, I, sent to a fab house in China, and for just a few dollars, I got 5-blank pcbs complete with silkscreen. The quality was excellent, and best of all, I did not have to deal with the etching solution. The only complaint was it took a couple of weeks. For $20 more, I could've had the PCBs in in about 4-days, but that was double the cost of the PCBs themselves.
    I didn't provide any context. These boards are etched by my students so they can understand the process. They also solder in all components and end up with a flight data recorder which is used during the rest of the year.

Given the technique demonstrated in the video, they can etch a board and drill it in a few hours. During post-mortems of the class, this lab is listed as the most fun. Well, except for one guy that was only interested in software and theory.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,646 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    In the early 1980s I needed to etch a few PCBs and I made simple dedicated drilling guides in aluminium. I would drill the holes first and then use the holes as a guide for hand drawing the traces with a resist pen. Now for simple boards I just use Vero board as a drilling guide but I now do more complex boards by milling.

Circuit Board Drill Templates-80s_pcbs.jpg Click images for full size

Circuit Board Drill Templates-donemilling.jpg Circuit Board Drill Templates-perforatingboard..jpg
    Sometimes I still drill first but not always.

If I am not in a hurray I now get them made professionally because they are so cheap and on another quality level. Rapid shipping puts the cost too high, which is the reason that I only do this if time is not a factor, but it usually is.

Circuit Board Drill Templates-realthingfront.jpg Circuit Board Drill Templates-realthingrear.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information