Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Clay conveyor - GIFs

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Clay conveyor - GIFs

Clay conveyor.

Previously:

Cutting layered clay patterns - GIF
    Making clay tableware - GIF
    Automotive modelling clay extruding machine - GIF
    Clay cane cutter - GIF
    Clay brick making machine - GIF
    River-powered clay pounders GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (May 19, 2021)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    OK, School me here. What am I looking at? The first stage of a pottery process or an exercise in futility? One of those conveyors very neatly meters out and then rows the clay then dumps it out on the ground?

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I have never seen this process before, but I know a few few things from working clay over the years. I used to have students bring in a coffee can of "dirt" from their yard or where ever they going get it. One process in refining clay is to add lots of water to make a slurry. Dump some of the dirty into a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Add water then use a drywall mud mixer to or similar. Poured down a low sloped chute, the heavy material(gravel and sand) will fall out quickly. The remaining particles "sort" themselves by size, with lighter particles (topsoil, silt,etc,) flowing out the end. Most of the stuff in the middle was clay. Then you let the clay dry to the point you can use it.

That machinery reminds me of that process, starts with a slurry, gets drier, with each step. Being "dumped on the ground" may have been the last step before a loader picked it up to dump it into a hopper for extruding into products, (bricks, tiles, etc) or packaging for sale.

My guess

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    So this is actually the process of extracting only clay from raw materials then?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Yes, I believe that is what is happening.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    I think you're right hemmjo. The first four videos show the machine that takes the raw clay slurry pumped in from the big PVC pipe and dewaters it by pressing it against a cloth/screen conveyor, breaks it up, and does it again to start the wedging process.

It'd be interesting to see the machine that makes the slurry. I'd guess it's probably a hammer mill, then a sprayer, and a giant propeller in a tank, maybe with some settling tanks?

They probably have to tear all that plumbing down to clean it out pretty often.

Thanks
    Some clays also develop additional viscosity and bond strength when worked aggressively.

My company is the worlds largest producer of one type of clay. We experimented with improving lower grades of clay by extruding through spinning rolls to add to its properties but eventually for us it was easier to just mine better clay and dilute it with lower grade to get just what we needed without selling too high a grade.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information