Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore

Supporting Member Dimitris Polychronis's Avatar
    Thanks

Dimitris Polychronis's Tools

Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore

Happy New Year to all

The cleaning tool for the spindle bore is a tool I've copied from Toolsandmods. It’s simple and efficient; as I’m thinking it now, I should have made it long time ago instead of using paper towels or rags for cleaning the spindle.
    Now, what I have made is practically the same with the one from toolsandmods; the only that is different is that instead using fabric for making the cleaning discs, I used soft leather (approximate thickness 1.3mm).

Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-1-large-.jpg

In toolsandmods it’s stated that the discs were made from windows cleaning cloth with a diameter of 28mm; now, since I decided to use leather I had to cut the discs into a smaller diameter (leather is definitely harder than window cleaning cloth) for an easy push or pull action of the tool inside the MT3 spindle of my mini lathe.

I found (based on the thickness-hardness of the leather I had) that the right diameter for the discs had to be 26.5mm.

For cutting the discs I made this round cutting guide which accepts a 5mm hole punch in its center
    Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-2-large-.jpg Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-3-large-.jpg

The discs were roughly cut with a knife
    Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-4-large-.jpg

Then the discs were pressed evenly and locked in a simple shaft; the final diameter was achieved by turning the stack on the lathe.
    Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-5.jpg Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-6.jpg Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-7.jpg
    Not some quality pictures (snapshots from the video)

Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-8-large-.jpg

Cleaning tool for the lathe spindle bore-9-large-.jpg
    The overall length of the tool is approximately 325mm

All the best
    Dimitris

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dimitris Polychronis For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jan 7, 2019), kboy0076 (May 22, 2023), nova_robotics (May 22, 2023), Seedtick (Jan 7, 2019), Whiteboardwarriors2 (Jan 7, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Dimitris Polychronis! We've added your Spindle Bore Cleaner to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: Dimitris Polychronis's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (Jan 9, 2019)

Thread Information