Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Click farm: many mobile phones combining to create mass fraudulent web traffic - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts

Click farm: many mobile phones combining to create mass fraudulent web traffic - GIF

This is called a "click farm". These facilities are used to generate a high volume of faux web and app traffic for clients.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 3, 2019), dubbby (Jul 9, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 2, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    There are days when my phone rings so many times with nuisance calls that I sometimes think the world would truly be better off is there were to be a global EMP powerful enough to send us back to the stone age or at least pre mobile phone age.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 8, 2021)

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    There are days when my phone rings so many times with nuisance calls that I sometimes think the world would truly be better off is there were to be a global EMP powerful enough to send us back to the stone age or at least pre mobile phone age.
    Worldwide catastrophic EMP would = approx. 6,500,000,000 deaths. Be careful what you wish for.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Frank the solution is simpler than that. I speak from experience.

I just do not carry a phone around with me. I only take a phone when travelling because it would be useful in an emergency and sometimes to notify people of a safe arrival at destination. I am not bothered by calls even then, I guess anyone who wants to call me knows that I only rarely have a phone with me.
    So we do not have to return to a pre mobile phone age, as individuals we can act as if we are in that age.

Oh yes, I forgot the urgent calls, the 'world will end if I do not take it' calls. Generally what is urgent today is not tomorrow. Armed with that insight, I can wait until tomorrow and by extension that means that I can wait forever.

I have spent the vast majority of my life without the dubious benefits of instant communication, I am sure that I'll be able to live out the rest of my life in the same way and remain more content than most worrying about 'who was that missed call from?'. OH NO, NOT A MISSED CALL.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

high-side (Apr 7, 2019), IAMSatisfied (Apr 6, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,627 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    Worldwide catastrophic EMP would = approx. 6,500,000,000 deaths. Be careful what you wish for.
    Yes but that is only one each.

Thanks
    Wouldn't mind seeing the rest of the setup.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Since I am frequently working alone I carry a mobile phone for my emergency situations Fortunately, none have yet occurred, but I like to be prepared.
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    1,000,000,000 survivors Hum sounds like acceptable odds Just kidding.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    Frank the solution is simpler than that. I speak from experience.

I just do not carry a phone around with me. I only take a phone when travelling because it would be useful in an emergency and sometimes to notify people of a safe arrival at destination. I am not bothered by calls even then, I guess anyone who wants to call me knows that I only rarely have a phone with me.
    So we do not have to return to a pre mobile phone age, as individuals we can act as if we are in that age.

Oh yes, I forgot the urgent calls, the 'world will end if I do not take it' calls. Generally what is urgent today is not tomorrow. Armed with that insight, I can wait until tomorrow and by extension that means that I can wait forever.

I have spent the vast majority of my life without the dubious benefits of instant communication, I am sure that I'll be able to live out the rest of my life in the same way and remain more content than most worrying about 'who was that missed call from?'. OH NO, NOT A MISSED CALL.
    Here, Here, Sir well said could not agree more.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I don't like interference with my activities. I don't like to hide. That doesn't stop pirates. It's like hiding from 'pandemic', while expecting to build an immune system.

Well no surprise, and admittedly, my phone tactic is a bit different too, and take all the calls. Right ones get a conversation, wrong ones get harassed, abused, and invited to not dare call again.
    It's a form of entertainment. Those get blocked, saved, dated and named if possible, ie "SunPower Sales". As they expend new numbers under old name, it gets saved accordingly "SunPower Sales1" and so on. I list them at DoNotCall.gov. Once a series begins, it gets effective soon. My area code no longer correlates to my locale, any unnamed number is dang near guaranteed spam.
    Examples of a few possible misuses; public utilities, government agencies, travel, credit cards, gifts, insurance, auto warranty service...that one is always fun. Pretty sure my 95 Buick has no remaining warranty or pending recalls. Or I'm interested in a sophisticated mobile phone. It's easy; they have a script, you throw them a curve. Teehee.

This began maybe 10-11 years ago. Having the same number since the mid 90's, everybody I'd like to continue contact is saved and named, screening BS quite easy. For the last 8-9 years I get calls from collection agencies looking for a person unknown to me. He either made up surreptitious info, or someone transposed number. Over time, collected some intel on this guy and relay or compare it with the agencies. Financial companies and brokers are allowed 2 calls by law, telling them you are not him, actual banks only once. There are plenty of lawyers who sue as your agent for a percentage. Records make a compelling case.

Another trend started recently, a different but actual solar panel subcontractor. I have a dozen "XxSolarxx", past two weeks. The hook for this one, iron clad! They evoke name of the Southern California Electric utility, so...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information