Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: CNC Cabinet

Supporting Member
    Thanks

davegsc's Tools

CNC Cabinet

I've been gratefully learning from this website for a very long time, and finally decided it was time to add my own post. This is my 4-axis CNC cabinet that I built from an old IBM server. The reason for making it a standalone controller is so I can move it between a shop-built CNC router (in use for five years), a 10X22 metal lathe (currently adding two stepper motors), and a Chinese Mill-Drill (currently adding three steppers.)

The cabinet has my own Franken-PSU design, plus dual relays for G-Code control over the spindle and vacuum. I use external cooling at this time, but intend to put two fans inside when I eventually reduce the size of the power supply.

The mounting for the drivers is an ancient chopped up CandCNC (candcnc.com) system that they don't offer any more.

The dual 110V universal sockets on the back of the cabinet provide separate 15-Amp circuits - one for the controller, computer and stepper motors..., the other to power the spindle and vacuum motors. The two 110V receptacles on top of the cabinet are the relay outputs

I use 4-pin XLR connectors (I had them laying around), to drive four Gecko G203V drivers. The cabinet has a kill switch on the front panel - as well as a Emergency switch on a long cable - that use a 10Watt resistor to instantly drain the capacitors. I also added four toggle switches to kill and reset individual axes.

My youngest daughter felt the cabinet needed some adornment - that's her tribal design in gloss black over matte black.

That's about it, I think. Comments of all types are welcome.

Thanks!
    Dave

CNC Cabinet-cnc_cabinet_04.jpgCNC Cabinet-cnc_cabinet_03.jpgCNC Cabinet-dsc00002.jpgCNC Cabinet-cnc_cabinet_01.jpgCNC Cabinet-cnc_cabinet_02.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to davegsc For This Useful Post:

Jon (Apr 8, 2016), thehomeengineer (Apr 29, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks davegsc! We've added your CNC Cabinet to our CNC category,
    as well as to your builder page: davegsc's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi davegsc
    Thank you for the post I am just about to start a conversion on a manual mill (I say about to start hopefully will have all the bits needed by Christmas). I have added the link to the post I submitted on HMT http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/s...sion-cnc-67365. This is a step learning curve so still researching the best way forward as I have never completed or tackled any project like this before. I am quite excited about the build as the donor mill I think makes for a good starting point for the project.
    Thank your daughter and I will try and compete with tribal design in gloss black when I get to that stage.
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information