Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Cold shrink tubing - GIF

  1. #1
    Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Altair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,645
    Thanks
    1,041
    Thanked 16,501 Times in 5,198 Posts

    173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

    nova_robotics (Dec 9, 2021), Sleykin (Dec 10, 2021), that_other_guy (Dec 13, 2021)

  3. #2
    Supporting Member WmRMeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    552
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 222 Times in 151 Posts

    WmRMeyers's Tools
    If that is what it looks like, the only thing new about it is the method of dispensing/wrapping the tape. We call that stuff "400mph tape" among other things. You peel the backing off as you stretch and wrap whatever it is you're sealing with the tape, and it shrinks and binds to itself. The method shown in the video is an improvement, particularly in tight spaces like multiple connectors on a bulkhead, as shown. Trying to get my fat fingers into spaces like that to evenly wrap the tape is a PITA and hands. Especially now that I'm getting old and creaky.

    Bill

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 85 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    If that is what it looks like, the only thing new about it is the method of dispensing/wrapping the tape. We call that stuff "400mph tape" among other things. You peel the backing off as you stretch and wrap whatever it is you're sealing with the tape, and it shrinks and binds to itself. The method shown in the video is an improvement, particularly in tight spaces like multiple connectors on a bulkhead, as shown. Trying to get my fat fingers into spaces like that to evenly wrap the tape is a PITA and hands. Especially now that I'm getting old and creaky.

    Bill
    This stuff in not a wrap in the sense the 400MPH tape is. It is a highly elastic seamless tube that is stretched over a spiral plastic support on the ID. You have to thread your wire through it just like heat shrink tube, and then you pull out the spiral support. As the tube material is so elastic, it shrinks down to envelope the connection. It is often specified for use in places where a heat gun would be inconvenient or dangerous like when working in or around fuel tanks or the like.

    I have only ever tried out samples of it given to me by salesman types, but it is pretty cool stuff. Expensive if I recall correctly but I guess it makes sense if you have an application that needs it.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

    Sleykin (Dec 10, 2021), that_other_guy (Dec 13, 2021)

  6. #4
    Supporting Member WmRMeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    552
    Thanks
    120
    Thanked 222 Times in 151 Posts

    WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by clavius View Post
    This stuff in not a wrap in the sense the 400MPH tape is. It is a highly elastic seamless tube that is stretched over a spiral plastic support on the ID. You have to thread your wire through it just like heat shrink tube, and then you pull out the spiral support. As the tube material is so elastic, it shrinks down to envelope the connection. It is often specified for use in places where a heat gun would be inconvenient or dangerous like when working in or around fuel tanks or the like.

    I have only ever tried out samples of it given to me by salesman types, but it is pretty cool stuff. Expensive if I recall correctly but I guess it makes sense if you have an application that needs it.
    That is cool, then. In more ways than one. I'd gotten to play with heat shrink tubing a couple of times back when it was outrageously expensive, and loved it for many things, but the heat source was a definite limiter of usages. Now it's relatively cheap. So is 400mph tape, for that matter. So another great tool for the folks that need such at thing. Wonder if I'll live long enough to see it become relatively cheap?

    Bill

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WmRMeyers For This Useful Post:

    clavius (Dec 10, 2021), Sleykin (Dec 10, 2021)

  8. #5
    Supporting Member Sleykin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Medford, Oregon USA
    Posts
    61
    Thanks
    913
    Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts

    Sleykin's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by clavius View Post
    This stuff in not a wrap in the sense the 400MPH tape is. It is a highly elastic seamless tube that is stretched over a spiral plastic support on the ID. You have to thread your wire through it just like heat shrink tube, and then you pull out the spiral support. As the tube material is so elastic, it shrinks down to envelope the connection. It is often specified for use in places where a heat gun would be inconvenient or dangerous like when working in or around fuel tanks or the like.

    I have only ever tried out samples of it given to me by salesman types, but it is pretty cool stuff. Expensive if I recall correctly but I guess it makes sense if you have an application that needs it.
    We used it at work on our communications towers on the mountain tops. I retired 16 years ago so it has been around for awhile.. Do NOT put you finger in and pull the strap out LOL...

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sleykin For This Useful Post:

    clavius (Dec 10, 2021)

  10. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    133
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 85 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleykin View Post
    We used it at work on our communications towers on the mountain tops. I retired 16 years ago so it has been around for awhile.. Do NOT put you finger in and pull the strap out LOL...
    Yeah, it was quite a few years ago when I was introduced to this stuff. I have not had any reason to look into it since but I'm guessing it is still pricey.

    Funny what you say about not putting your finger in it as one of my coworkers did just that with one of the samples, trying to be funny. He made a bit of a mess of his finger trying to cut the stuff off. The grip was tenacious and the material was tough to cut without cutting the finger underneath it. Not one of his brighter moves!



    173 Best Homemade Tools eBook

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to clavius For This Useful Post:

    Sleykin (Jan 8, 2022)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •