Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Contra-rotating propellers - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Contra-rotating propellers - GIF

Contra-rotating propellers of an Antonov An-70. The An-70 is powered by four Progress D-27 three-shaft propfan engines, each capable of producing 10,350kW of output power.

Previously:

Stratolaunch the world's largest aircraft - video
    Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey unfolding - GIF and photos
    Painting a 777 airplane - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Altair; Dec 27, 2018 at 03:28 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

baja (Dec 29, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Dec 28, 2018), mwmkravchenko (Dec 25, 2021), PJs (Dec 28, 2018), ranald (Dec 29, 2018), Seedtick (Dec 28, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Technically I believe it is a Propfan and not a Scimitar prop although the shape is true. A mere 55,518 hp but the AN70's max take off weight is 319,670 lb...wonder what kind of thrust those props produce to kick that baby off the ground ground in 2000 feet with 25 tons of cargo. It's an impressive beast of burden and the prop-fans are pretty impressive looking as well as giving lift to the wings as a STOL. Note the distance between the two props and the small diameters. Small diameter keeps the tip speed down and the distance between gives better fuel consumption.

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 25, 2021)

The desolate ranch country of Northeastern corner of New Mexico, USA
    Thanks

IAMSatisfied's Tools
    Now, if these were only shrouded or ducted, then efficiency would be increased dramatically.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    Technically I believe it is a Propfan and not a Scimitar prop although the shape is true. A mere 55,518 hp but the AN70's max take off weight is 319,670 lb...wonder what kind of thrust those props produce to kick that baby off the ground ground in 2000 feet with 25 tons of cargo. It's an impressive beast of burden and the prop-fans are pretty impressive looking as well as giving lift to the wings as a STOL. Note the distance between the two props and the small diameters. Small diameter keeps the tip speed down and the distance between gives better fuel consumption.
    They don't seem to have a lot of pitch. How does this affect the torque? (obviously, I have NO knowledge on the subject & may seem 2b a very silly question but that is some big mother with or without a load).

Aside: Looks a little like my portable saw which has a totally different use to my dado sets (blades of which ((of course)) turn the same way).

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    They don't seem to have a lot of pitch. How does this affect the torque? (obviously, I have NO knowledge on the subject & may seem 2b a very silly question but that is some big mother with or without a load).

Aside: Looks a little like my portable saw which has a totally different use to my dado sets (blades of which ((of course)) turn the same way).
    It is a big MO. I saw a special while back about a service that uses them and they transported a wind turbine blades from Malaysia to Colorado jobsite a while back that had an impossible deadline. The front and back end open up to allow drive thru for loading and unloading.

Actually they do have quite a bit of pitch. I thought they might be variable pitch but can't find evidence of that but a close inspection of the pic I believe they are. Here is a close up of the props from the side from wiki:

Contra-rotating propellers - GIF-800px-antonov_an-70_at_paris_air_show_2013_4.jpg

Also some good history of the prop-fan and it's efficiencies on wiki and some clues as to why no ducting for high lift wing profiles.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 25, 2021), ranald (Dec 30, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    It is a big MO. I saw a special while back about a service that uses them and they transported a wind turbine blades from Malaysia to Colorado jobsite a while back that had an impossible deadline. The front and back end open up to allow drive thru for loading and unloading.

Actually they do have quite a bit of pitch. I thought they might be variable pitch but can't find evidence of that but a close inspection of the pic I believe they are. Here is a close up of the props from the side from wiki:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800px-Antonov_AN-70_at_Paris_Air_Show_2013_4.jpg 
Views:	751 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	27307

Also some good history of the prop-fan and it's efficiencies on wiki and some clues as to why no ducting for high lift wing profiles.
    Thanks: interesting that the rear ones seem to have more pitch than the front ones but that may be just me. A close look & you may well be right again about variable pitch.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Dec 25, 2021), PJs (Jan 2, 2019)

Thread Information